I fought the yard, and I won

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

So the fabulous ladies over at 5 Minutes For Mom host this terrific meme movement every Tuesday called Tackle It Tuesday. I’ve never participated before, and I thought this week was the perfect time to start.
I tackled (with hubby’s help) our backyard this past Friday.
The Weeds, the overgrown grass, the spiderwebs and lots of dead scary branches had taken over our yard and rendered it totally non kid friendly.
We hit the backyard armed with shovels, rakes, clippers, pressure washers, mower, weed eater and a chainsaw. I am woman, hear me and my power tools purr, remember.

Before Number 1

Before Number 2

Three hours later and two extremely large full trashcans later…
I present:

After Number 1

See that? A backyard that is kid friendly, open, clean and free of dead lime trees and other such child endangering shrubbery.
The path was left by our boxer, who passed away in April. I bought some grass seeds today and I plan on seeding the yard tomorrow so hopefully in a few weeks we’ll have a lush lawn in the backyard, just like in the front.

After Number 2

We like to barbecue, a little bit. The large pit was built by a friend of ours in New Braunfels and it has a smoker, a large cooking surface, a radio, a trailer hitch, wheels and even a propane burner for cooking side dishes. I love it.

The grill on the patio is my Propane Baby. I huge puffy heart it and use it at least a couple of times a week.

Then, there’s the 3rd grill. A 100% stainless steel sucker that is sitting in the old dog run area.

What? You don’t have 3 grills?
Shoot. We’re Texans honey! We love us some grillin’ :-)

So there you have it, my first Tackle It Tuesday. I’m rather proud and I shall be putting up Tiki Torches tonight to encircle the patio because we don’t have Mosquitos down here in South Texas… we have Skeeters that are big enough to take off with small children and pets and have been known to damn near drain a girl dry. I seriously think that they are some military cross breeding experiment between mosquitos and vampire bats, that went horribly horribly wrong. Between the skeeters and the giant flying roaches, it’s often a game of chance to go outside and play.

Comments

1. Audubon Ron says

Whoa, opened up a can of Whup Butt on it. You’re great at this. I need you to show me how to straighten mine up. ( He’s a con trying to trick you into doing it for his lazy butt, he don’t wanna know).

2. Kimmylyn says

HOLY COW!!! In three hours? I can’t fold laundry in three hours and you did a whole backyard?? :)

LOOKS GREAT!!

3. Loralee Choate says

GAH! I have to do my jungle of a lawn but our riding lawn mower isn’t going to be repaired until this weekend. (We’re on half an acre. The whole “Riding” part of the equation is absolutely necessary!)

4. Vintage Dutch Girl says

Saw your comment over at ‘playgroups’ about the space saver high chair. We love it too!

Holy cow girl, get your clean on! I’m very impressed with the backyard makeover, or is it called a rakeover? Too nerdy, I know ;)

5. homemakingmama says

WOW! Great job, I can hardly believe my eyes. Huge improvement. I bet your kids love it. Well done, and happy TT!

6. Amy says

good work! that’s amazing you got all that done in 3 hours! i can’t even find all of my tools in 3 hours let alone get work done!

7. Kellan says

Skeeters – FOR SURE!!! You did a great job on that yard – WOW!!! That is not an easy job and especially in the Texas heat!! It looks marvelous!

Take care – Kellan

8. ConverseMomma says

Nice work. I need to tackle some overgrowth too, seriously they are growing on my upper lip, underarms, legs, and somewhere south. TMI? Sorry, I’ve off to get the weedwacker.

9. LunaNik says

You effing crack. me. up. Seriously, with your “skeeters” lingo and all your grills I just want to hug you and call you my bff.

10. Kellan says

Thanks Rachel – I put the link. I don’t know how to upload the video. Thanks for your support! See you – Kellan

11. MamaGeek says

So blogging CAN be productive? WHO KNEW! Seriously, this was awesome Rachel. Watch out Ty Pennington!

12. anglophilefootballfanatic says

I’m totally impressed! That is mommy muscle. You did a great job. And, I get the skeeter/grill thing. :) But, you knew that!

13. pb&j in a bowl says

You go girl!! Wanna come tackle my apartment next week? The key is under the mat. Have fun!

14. Kimberly says

Great job! What an amazing difference. I love putting in a hard day’s work and getting a huge payout at the end.

15. HRH says

Wow. I am humbled in your presence. And we share outdoor hazards…mosquitos the size of my fist. UGH. Ryan come down today and said he had 10 bites. I don’t know how that happened because we put in a mosquito misting system a few summers back or else we couldn’t even use the yard 8 months out of the year.

Great results!

16. Elizabeth says

My husband’s Aunt and Uncle had a Screened in Back Yard at their house in Florida! I feel like I need that here in PA…but not 8 months of the year. I’d love to visit Texas, but you can keep your Flying Cockroaches. Great job. And now, even though it is Wed, I have to go get to work on the girls’ room. UGH. UGH again…
    Blessings, EJT

17. Erin says

Looks great! We are getting ready to tackle our new yard next week. I hope we have the same great results! See you soon.

18. Lindsay Lebresco (Graco) says

Just visiting for the first time- love your blog here! I love this post in particular because it is so motivating to show a before and after. The other night I made a huge list of all the things I wanted to do. One of them will have a very ugly embarrasing BEFORE picture. At least if I take the shot I will have to redeem myself by showing you I can accomplish something! Thanks for the motivation! (and thanks for your comments!)