Simple and Delicious Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole

One of the reasons that I love this sausage and egg breakfast casserole so much is that it’s easy, it can be made the night before, and with the blending of the spicy sausage and the creamy eggs and cheese mixture. Seriously y’all your taste buds will dance with delight and your friends and family will ask what they can do for you if you’ll only make this dish for them.
sausage-and-egg-casserole

Sausage and Egg Casserole

• 4 C frozen shredded hashbrowns
  • 2 C shredded cheddar
  • 1 lb (cooked) breakfast sausage, I use the hot sausage because we like a little zoomph in our food
  • 1/2 C green onion, chopped
  • 8 eggs, beaten
  • 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  1. Arrange hashbrowns in an even layer in the bottom of a greased 9X13 pan
  2. Sprinkle with cheese, sausage and green onion: set aside
  3. Combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper: blend well
  4. Pour over hashbrown mixture, cover and refrigerate for several hours, or overnight
  5. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees until the center is set: 40 to 50 minutes if chilled. 50 to 60 minutes if chilled overnight.

Thank you so much for joining me in sharing my love of food, family and recipes!

Comments

1. Sammanthia says

I live in the south… I’m down with any recipe that has “sausage” in the title. Sounds awesome and I’ll be sure to test it this week!

Sammanthia’s latest brilianceLook, I’m A Picasso!

Thank you so much, Linda! It absolutely made my day to have you come back and take the time to tell me that you made it and that y’all enjoyed it! Have a wonderful week!

Now, don’t fall out of your chair or anything, but I actually make this one periodically. We don’t put the hashbrowns at the bottom, but that’s an interesting twist on the recipe I use (which is actually “start with eggs and throw in all the leftovers from the fridge”).

Colleen – Mommy Always Wins’s latest brilianceWeekly Winners – February 8-14, 2009

3. Leah says

My aunt does a version of this for our birthday luncheons (she serves it as a brunch meal) and it’s FABULOUS!!! I’ve never attempted it myself yet, though. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Jill says

Food doesn’t make children fat…lack of parenting and education about good food choices does….children are obese because parents allow them to sit in front of the tv and eat whatever they want.

• Danyelle says

Actually McDonalds and Burger King and Sugars and Cakes, and chips make our children obese… Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.. THis has protein, dary, and starch all wrapped up in one simple meal. All we need is some orange juice.

4. Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole says

I have been searching for this information – Simple and Delicious Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole: MWM – for months – but it’s all here. I will bookmark this domain and return often. Jilly P

5. Carrie says

Just made this for our Christmas Eve brunch!!! I did use a variety of cheeses though (I am a cheese lover) Can’t wait to take it out of the oven tomorrow morning :)

6. Dion says

Thanks for the recipe! Put it together on Christmas eve, baked it Christmas morning. Super easy, and by far the best breakfast casserole we’ve made.

7. katie says

Anyone know if this recipe will turn out well with unsweetened almond milk in place of the milk? We are a lactose intolerant household.

Katie – it’s been recommended that you do 2/3 the amount in Almond Milk because the eggs will carry the dish in the end. Thanks to Carolyn Ketchum from All Day I Dream About Food for this recommendation!

Here’s what Barbara recommends -“l I would suggest she cook down the almond milk a bit…substituting something of that viscosity for evaporated milk might alter the outcome in a bad way. Evaporated milk is just that…so she could evaporate the almond milk a bit to get a better one on one substitution.”

1. […] Southern Fairytale posted HER recipe for this today, too. She’s apparently been spying on me and my cooking […]

2. Simple and Delicious Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole: MWM » A Southern Fairytale | Recipes, Gossip & More! says:

[…] Source […]