This might be my favorite “breakfast” cake that I’ve ever made, not to mention eaten.
I am calling it a coffee cake because it’s meant for brunches and breakfast which traditionally involve coffee; as I’m not a coffee drinker, we had mimosas :-).
The rich tang of the lemon, the sweet, juicy blackberries combine in a dense, moist, springy bundt cake topped with a simple powdered sugar glaze and hot blackberry drizzle. Seriously y’all, this recipe is beyond tonguegasmic.
Blackberry Lemon Breakfast Cake
*formatted recipe will follow pictures
1 box lemon cake mix
oil (or applesauce)
Powdered Sugar Glaze
1 C powdered Sugar
2 – 3 Tbsp milk
Combine your cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix on medium speed for about 2 to 3 minutes or until the batter is smooth and all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
Gently fold in 18 oz blackberries
Pour into greased bundt pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes
Remove from oven and let cool in pan 10 minutes
Flip out onto serving platter and drool over the smell and the sight of all those juicy blackberries inside of the rich, dense, tangy lemon cake.
Make your powdered sugar glaze and drizzle over the warm cake, keep from sticking glaze spoon directly in your mouth because other people won’t appreciate that
If you’re feelin’ real frisky and REALLY want to make this cake pop and wow your friends and family and your tastebuds
While the cake is cooking; put 12 oz blackberries with 1/3 cup sugar in a saucepan and let it simmer.. stirring occasionally to help break the blackberries down. This makes a ridiculously delicious and simple hot blackberry drizzle and takes this breakfast cake to the next level.
- 1 package (2 layer cake) Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 C Sour Cream
- 4 eggs
- ¼ C sugar
- ¼ C water
- ⅓ C vegetable oil
- 1 C powdered Sugar
- 2 – 3 Tbsp milk
- 2 lbs (32 oz) fresh blackberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 for metal or glass or 325 for dark or non-stick pans (make sure the oven is completely pre-heated before putting the cake in.. that’s one of the core steps to successful baking.
- Combine Cake Mix, Sour Cream, Eggs, Sugar, Water and Vegetable Oil in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in 16 – 18 oz blackberries and mix thoroughly with a spatula or wooden spoon, you don’t have to be soft with them, blackberries are sturdy little suckers.
- pour into lightly greased bundt pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed with your finger or a dry spaghetti noodle comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake
- remove from oven and cool 10 minutes in pan and then gently turn onto serving platter
- Combine powdered sugar and milk, stirring until it is the consistency that you desire.
- drizzle the glaze over the cake.
- If you’re feelin’ frisky and you want to extra wow this recipe. Put 12 to 16 oz of blackberries with ⅓ C sugar in a saucepan over low heat and simmer while the cake bakes. Stir occasionally and watch while they cook down into a delicious, blackberry bubbling hot glaze of awesomeness.
- top with the hot blackberry drizzle or leave that on the table and allow each person to add it themselves