This Texas Sheet Cake is a family tradition, we grew up eating it and my kids are growing up devouring it. I’ve had many Texas Sheet Cakes or Texas Chocolate Cakes or Chocolate Sheet cakes, as everyone down here as their own version of it.
This is hands down the best one that I’ve ever eaten and everyone that we make it for falls instantly in love with it.
It’s quite addictive, you can’t eat just one bite, trust me… you keep going back for more.
For the cake you need; flour, sugar, salt, margarine (the original recipe calls for Oleo), water, Cocoa, eggs, baking soda, buttermilk, vanilla and cinnamon.
Put the margarine, cocoa and water into a pan and bring to a boil
While it’s boiling mix together the flour, sugar and salt. Once the cocoa, margarine and water mixture has come to a boil you will pour it over the flour mixture. Stir eggs, soda, buttermilk, cinnamon and vanilla together. Add to mixture. Pour everything into a greased sheet pan and bake at 350 for 18 minutes
When there’s 5 minutes left in the baking time, you’ll make the insanely delicious, chocolate (pecan or walnut) frosting.
Milk, walnuts (or pecans), vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa, powdered sugar.
Remove the cake from the oven and after two minutes, pour on the icing
Resist the urge to dive in and devour this chocolate-y piece of heaven until it has cooled. Then, slice and serve or just dig in with a fork like we did this past weekend 🙂 Whomever you share this cake with will be forever devoted to you and thanking you for showing them the light. This is after all, the chocolate cake that shames all other chocolate cakes.
- 2 C flour (but not really.. more like 1 C and just a hair shy of another cup..1 C and 1 not quite level cup)
- 2 C sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 sticks margarine (The original recipe calls for oleo.) ******* You can use butter instead of margarine. 2 sticks (1 Cup)
- 1 C water
- 3 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 2 eggs
- ½ C buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 stick margarine or 1 Stick Butter (1/2 Cup)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa
- 6 Tbsp. milk (1/4 Cup plus 2 Tbsp in dry measuring cups or 3 oz in liquid measuring cups)
- 1 box (16 oz) confectioners (powdered) sugar
- 1 C chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tsp. vanilla.
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Stir flour (I use a little less than 2 full cups), sugar, salt.
- In sauce pan put margarine, cocoa and water. Stir while bringing to a boil. Pour over the flour mixture.
- Stir eggs, soda, buttermilk, cinnamon and vanilla together. Add to the flour/cocoa mixture.
- Bake in greased sheet cake (10x15) pan for 18 minutes on 350.
- minutes before cake is done make the icing.
- Mix together; cocoa, margarine and milk. Heat and then add nuts, powdered sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour over hot cake and allow to cool.
*** The sheet cake pan for this recipe is a 10X15 sheet cake pan - you may know it as a jelly roll pan.
Serve when cooled, grab your own piece and watch with a knowing smile as people experience the tonguegasmic delight of this Texas Sheet Cake. You will have their eternal love and adoration, trust me. 😉
* Big chocolate-y thanks to my Mama for sharing our family recipe with me so that I can share it with y’all!
If You Like This, Try This: