Hey y’all! Welcome to the baking part of Handmade Holidays! Don’t forget to go visit Kelly for all the awesome Non-Sewing Craft Ideas and the spectacular Cindy for some simply amazing Sewing Gift Ideas!
Today’s featured Baker is Cheryl, from TidyMom:
Dipped Caramel Pretzel Rods -by TidyMom
One of my family’s favorite treats to decorate, eat and even give away at the holidays, is chocolate dipped pretzel rods. They’re easy to make, and the combination of sweet chocolate and salty, crunchy pretzels is fantastic.
They can actually be made for any holiday or occasion, just decorate according to your theme! Best of all, they are loved by kids and adults alike!
This past year I tried something different with our Chocolate Covered Pretzel Rods….I added caramel between the chocolate and the pretzel!! They went over REAL well- the caramel ones were gone before the plain chocolate pretzels!
They make great gifts too!! Place one (or a few) rods in a cellophane bag and tie with a holiday ribbon, or use an oatmeal box, decorated with wrapping papper, place the dipped pretzel rods inside and top with a pretty bow!
Chocolate & Caramel Covered Pretzel Rods
print recipe here
1-2 bags of Pretzel Rods
1 package Caramel wraps (by the apples)
1 bag Wilton Light Cocoa Candy Melts
2. wrap strips around pretzel rods (I pulled caramel and I twisted and wrapped, so usually one strip of caramel was all that was needed for each pretzel rod.
3. Place a handful of candy melts on 2 pieces of wax paper on a plate. Microwave for about 30 seconds, the stir with a spoon, microwave for another 15 seconds and stir again, repeat until melts are all soft and blend together when you stir.
4. Dip pretzel rods in chocolate. By having your chocolate on the wax paper, you are able to lift the wax paper and get the pretzel covered real good! – Use your spoon often to scrape all of the chocolate back to the center. When you run out of melted chocolate, melt some more!
I used one bag of chocolate melts for 2 bags of pretzel rods.
*add sprinkles right after you roll in chocolate and place on wax paper to set. (I sprinkled Jimmies on the caramel pretzel rods, and colored sugar on the chocolate only rods- so it was easy to tell which ones had caramel!) Last year I drizzled some with white chocolate as well.
Store in an air tight container. These keep really well, so you can make these a week or so ahead for holiday gift giving!
- You could roll the caramel rods in toasted pecans or peanuts (you may have grab a handful of nuts and smash them into the caramel with your hands) then dip in chocolate.
- Try Dark Chocolate and roll in crushed candy canes.
- Use White Chocolate and sprinkles