Holy Cow! It’s week 4 already!!! Where has the time gone? Well, between Monkey’s First Day of Pre-School, Final Back To School Shopping, Meet the Teacher Night for Princess, the crazy blog disappearance of 2010 and life in general, it’s no wonder that it’s week 4!
I’m not a mega coupon user like some people that I know but, the more I use them and the more that “you saved $15 today” shows up on the bottom of my receipt, the more convinced I become that coupons are well worth it.
I’m all about cooking quick and easy, what I already have on hand, no extra shopping etc… did I mention easy?
When I find a good coupon/deal/combo loco I tend to stock up, especially if it’s something that I’ll use a lot and without any extra planning.
For example one of this month’s Online Combo Locos is Buy 2 Hunt’s 14.5 oz Diced Tomatoes and get one FREE. Love.
I have many staples: a few of which are: onions, garlic, pasta of every shape and kind, block of parmesan cheese and fresh basil (if I can keep it) there are SO many more but, these are constants.
So with that combo loco and my staples I present to y’all the most super simple chop it, drop it and leave it Herbed Diced Tomato Sauce. It’s perfect for tossing with fresh cooked pasta, layering with a meat, cheese and pasta for a crazy pasta bake or even topping slices of french bread and toasted in the oven for a yummy appetizer.
Recipe: Crazy Easy Diced Tomato Pasta
- 1/2 purple onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes
- 2 C dried pasta
- fresh parmesan
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- dice onion and chop garlic
- open can of tomatoes
- sautee the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil until translucent
- add in tomatoes, oregano, a couple of basil leaves; stir, cover and allow to just sit and simmer
- cook pasta
* One of the reasons I like this so much is it’s super simple to toss together and leave simmering while I’m getting kids ready for sports, practice, helping them with homework or listening to them talk about their day.
* you can toss the pasta and tomato sauce together, top with fresh grated parmesan and chopped basil leaves * you can add sliced chicken breasts (remember, we have those frozen chicken breasts from the other combo loco deal) for a heartier meal * you could put cooked pasta, sauce, cheese and a meat of your choice into a baking dish and bake to make an ooey gooey melty pasta bake ****** * This is also super delicious served cold for lunch the next day! There are so many options!
I decided to be silly and make a quick QUICK smashed video that takes less than 2 minutes to watch, instead of step by step pictures, here’s a video.
Also, you’re totally welcome for the earworm 😉
you can pop through to watch it on YouTube if you want to, just make sure you come back! 😉
I’m one of the HEB Meal Maker Challenge Bloggers and as such I’m participating in a challenge hosted by HEB and ConAgra to use in-store coupons and Combo Locos and special online coupons to create quick and unique back to school lunch and dinner recipes. Throughout the course of the program I have $50 goody packs to give away as well as a chance to win an amazing shopping spree to HEB with Phil Lempert, the Super Market Guru . My time and participation will be compensated but, as always, all opinions and ideas are completely 100% my own
Now that you’re all full of earworm goodness and you’ve seen how awful the lighting is in my kitchen/stove area 😉
What would you have done with the Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes? What kind of easy back to school night dinner creation would you have made?
Comment with up to two recipes/ideas in two separate comments for a chance to win!
I’ll leave the giveaway open from NOW (August 20th, 10-ish AM CST to Sunday Night August 22nd at 10:00 PM CST)
- you can tweet this with the #HEBack2School hashtag for an extra entry, leave the URL to your tweet in another comment
Congratulations to commenter NUMBER 3: Sherry!0