S’mores Pie

s'mores pie toasted mallows

There’s just something about s’mores.  Toasted ooey gooey marshmallows with crisp hot outsides, soft, sticky, gooey insides, paired with crisp graham crackers and soft melt-y chocolate.

However, there are times when making s’mores isn’t convenient, easy or do-able.  However, since coming home from the amazing birthday trip of win, and toasting s’mores on the beach with good friends my kids have been hounding me hinting incessantly that they’d love to have more s’mores (see what I did there?)

So… while I teased her on twitter about a s’mores pie.. I was actually seriously trying to figure out the best way to create a more easily edible, house friendly s’more.  So, I did what I do, I opened my pantry realized it was a disaster and spent 3 hours scrubbing it top to bottom and re-organizing and grabbed what I thought I could use:  pudding mix, graham crackers and marshmallows.

I put one package of graham crackers into my food processor and pulsed them into crumb-dom

s'mores pie graham crust

To about 1 1/2 C of crumbs, I added 1/4 C sugar and then 4 Tbsp melted butter.  Mix it up, press it into a pie pan and bake at 350 for 12 minutes.

While it’s baking, mix 2 boxes Chocolate Fudge Pudding Mix with 2 C cold milk and 1/2 container whipped topping. (I’ll admit, this is not something I keep on hand, however, knowing that pudding mix wouldn’t have the right consistency on its own, I ran out and snagged some)  Whisk these together into a thick, chocolate-y heavenly concoction

s'mores pudding

Scoop the chocolate pudding deliciousness into the fresh baked graham cracker pie crust (yes, you can use a pre-made, just give it a nice toasting first) and smooth.

Top with a bag of marshmallows, make a pretty design, whatever, I started circling the outside with marshmallows and worked my way inward.

Turn your broiler on high, put the marshmallow topped, chocolate, s’more pie of awesomeness onto your oven rack, leave the door open and watch as the marshmallows, swell, puff and toast.

s'mores pie toasted mallows Once the mallows have reached your preferred level of toasted deliciousness, remove the pie from your oven.

Here’s one of the things that rocks so much about this s’mores pudding pie.

You can immediately slice a piece and devour it straight from the oven;

s'mores pie slice out of

The marshmallows are all hot and crisp on the outside and melty molten sugary lava goodness on the inside, the chocolate pudding pie is thick and creamy and chilled and the graham cracker crust… there are no words.

Now, on to the amazing tonguegasmic awesomeness of this concoction.  This can be devoured and enjoyed straight from the oven, or you can slice it and heat it for 12 seconds in the microwave which will make the entire pie more closely resemble a traditional campfire s’more; the marshmallow will be hotter, the chocolate soft and melty and the graham cracker crust a bit warm and still crisp.  This can also be chilled and then re-heated the next day.

My 3 yo has snuck out of his room 4 times tonight to try to snag pieces of this pie from the counter.

*I baked this in an aluminum pie pan and then stored it with a second tin pie pan turned over top of it to preserve the marshmallows.

s'mores pie

S’mores Pie

A Delicious twist on a summer favorite; S'mores pudding pie is a fun treat for any day.
Serves: 1 12 inch pie
  • 1 bag marshmallows
  • 2 boxes chocolate fudge pudding
  • 1 package graham crackers
  • 1 tub whipped topping
  • 4 Tbsp butter
  • 2 C milk
  • ¼ C sugar
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350
  2. In a food processor blend one package/sleeve graham crackers into crumbs; remove 1½ C crumbs and place in a medium size bowl with ¼ C sugar, blend together with 4 Tbsp melted butter
  3. Press down into your pie plate/tin/pan and then bake for 12 minutes
  4. While the pie is baking; whisk together the packages of chocolate fudge pudding mix, the cold milk and ½ tub (4 oz) thawed whip topping (takes about 5 minutes to fully set)
  5. When the pie crust is done, pour, press, smooth the pudding mix into the crust and then top with marshmallows
  6. Place the pie in your oven on Hi broil and leaving the door open, broil until the marshmallows reach your desired toasted goodness
Rachel's Notes
this can be served straight from the oven * heated in the microwave * chilled and then re-heated
Thanks so much for visiting Mouthwatering Mondays! Y’all know the routine ;-) Link up, Link back, comment and visit!

Comments

Oh Rachel, your S’mores Pie has to be one of the best dessert ideas ever. I love how easy it is, and it looks so, so delicious! I’m very glad I’ve got some marshmallows in the cupboard!! Thank you for hosting Mouthwatering Mondays and have a great week :)

2. Grand Old Banjoist (GOB) says

OK, this looks great and as soon as I stop drooling on my keyboard I have a comment… ….OK, I’m drier now. if you used this DARK chocolate pudding recipe from this site, “http://low-fat-cooking.suite101.com/article.cfm/dark_chocolate_pudding_recipe”, the FDA, ATF and Betty Crocker will list this as an addictive substance and ban it.
    Seriously, your kids are going to grow up thinking all kids get to eat this well and it will take years of cooking school to make them better.

I was introduced to Smores by an exchange student. Not having a campfire in the dorms; we made smores in the microwave. Take your cracker, put 1 square of chocolate on it, and 1 marshmallow. Put it in the micro for no more than 10 seconds. Check the smooshyness. If you need to, micro it for another 10 seconds or so. The smush the second cracker down on top of it. And boom! Before you know it you have had a sugar over-dose and have to lie down for a while.
    Tara´s most recent brilliance ..I’m exhausted 50-365

4. Just Heather says

I love S’Mores and make them indoors all the time! We use a sterno pot, but I’ve also made S’mores dip in the oven instead. This looks fantastic, and should work great with gluten free substitutes since you’ve created your own crust – thanks so much.
    Just Heather´s most recent brilliance ..5 Awesome Tools to Make Blogging Easier

my boys would **LOVE** this!
    Will try to make it a bit healthier and send you the upgrade. Pudding mix has gluten in it, at least it always makes them break out…
    *Hugs*

Oh my heavens. My diabetic husband would willingly go into a sugar coma for this!! Heck, I’d probably go into a sugar coma for this dessert…now I HAVE to try it!! Yummo!!

7. Gloria says

Yum, yum and yum! Bookmarking this one for when my neices and nephews come over. This will be fun to make with the kiddos!

8. To Kiss the Cook says

Oh. My. Goodnight. That just looks like heaven. It makes me crave a campfire (and, of course, chocolate).

9. Brittany says

Wow, just in time for my fiance’s birthday party! He’s a chocolate fiend, so I pretty much HAVE to make this now. Thanks for the great recipe!

10. ShadowL says

I tried this tonight and even had enough filling left to do a half dozen of the mini graham cracker crusts as well as the big pie.

Great idea!

11. John says

I was shopping for the ingredients and i saw with the pudding that they sell a smaller box and a larger box, which should i go with? :O

12. Daisy says

yuuuuummmmmm yum yum! I love how the tops of the marshmallows get perfectly browned! I cannot WAIT to give this recipe a try :D

13. Kim says

I made a resolution about 2 days ago to start a new diet.
    My boyfriend sent me this like a few minutes ago
    …..Screw the diet. Ill just buy bigger pants :)

1. […] – Other important news: S’mores Pie!!! […]

2. […] adaptable and/or inspirational) Slow Roasted Apples with Maple Whipped Cream Smoked Salmon Chowder S’mores Pudding Pie (use gf graham crackers or cookie crumbs) How to Make Cream Cheese […]