Homemade Blueberry Crisp

blueberry crisp close up bowl

Did you know that July is National Blueberry Month?

Blueberries are everywhere now; Farmer’s Markets, grocery stores, ice cream shoppes and my kitchen table.

I adore blueberries.  They’re one of my favorite fruits; plump, crisp, sweet and delicious.  I eat them by the handful, on top of my granola, in my yogurt, in muffins and one of my favorite ways – this dump cake.

This Blueberry ‘Crisp’ is about as Southern as Banana Pudding (which I have an amazing recipe for and just haven’t shared with y’all yet — yes, I’m ashamed), Chicken Fried Steak and Southern Fried Chicken.

Homemade Blueberry Crisp, also known around certain Southern Circles as Blueberry Dump Cake

blueberry dump cake plate

Blueberry dump cake is one of those word of mouth recipes that gets passed around at Bible Studies, Potlucks, Progressive Dinners and for which every Southern Family has their own ‘best ever recipe’.

Almost every one of these recipes centers around a fruit, butter, a butter cake mix, sugar and pecans.

The name comes from the tradition of just dumping the ingredients into a 9X13 dish and letting the oven do the work for you.

Transforming fruit and sugar and mix and butter into hot, oozing rivers of fruit underneath a crisp, crunchy, pecan and sugar filled topping.

blueberry crisp portion

Many dump cake/cobbler/crisp recipes call for canned fruit.

Which is perfectly fine.  Really.

However, blueberries are crazy in season right now and they’re bursting with freshness and flavor and we have to take advantage of this.

This Blueberry Crisp is insanely delicious served piping hot over an amazing vanilla bean ice cream.

Homemade Blueberry Crisp

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Approximate Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

Yield: 9X13 Baking Dish

Homemade Blueberry Crisp

I highly recommend that y'all serve this piping hot over a your favorite vanilla ice cream.

• 1 stick butter

6. Sprinkle 1/2 C brown sugar over blueberries and pineapple
  7. Sprinkle 1/2 C white sugar over blueberries and pineapple
  8. Top with cake mix, do not mix
  9. Drizzle butter over the entire thing
  10. Top with 1/2 C brown sugar
  11. Top with 2 C chopped pecans
  12. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (this will depend on your oven) until blueberries are bubbling and the toppings have become a crisp sugary topping of deliciousness
  13. I like to turn on my broiler just to caramelize the topping a bit before removing it from the oven
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Happy Mouthwatering Monday, y’all. I’m so thrilled that y’all take the time to visit every Monday and check out my recipe, link up your recipe and share the tonguegasmic love with others.

Here are a few of my favorites from last week:

Subscribe to the list to get free recipes, updates, giveaways and much more.

Comments

My neighbors have a huge blueberry bush in their front yard. I need to ‘help’ them pick them before they go bad. It would be the neighborly thing to do. I could make a couple of these crisps and take one to them.

Looks yummy! I was just telling hubby yesterday that it’s about time to pick blueberries. I see you have Ziplist now, cool!
    I don’t see the linky though. I’ll check back later.
    Thanks for mentioning my Marshmallows.
    ~Liz

I wish we had somewhere to pick blueberries!
      I am using ZipList, I’m loving it! Somehow the linky got removed {sigh} It’s back up and running now :-)

I just purchased 4 gallons from our local health food store owners and b/c of all the rain we’ve had this ear most of the blueberries are as big as grapes!! They’re awfully good in a fool http://bit.ly/obLcAH
    blessings!

This is one of my favorite “cover dish” recipes! I did a post about dump cake and old Southern cookbooks not too long ago! I have to make it with fresh blueberries soon!

I love blueberries! Fresh blueberry muffins are one of my favorite summer-time breakfasts. Although I’d probably give them up for a bowl of this crisp first thing in the morning.

I love the Ziplist recipe plug in. Off to check it out.

Yum yum yum yum YUM!! This is the kinda thing that makes me WANT to grow berries myself! And the ingredient that seals this recipe’s deliciousness? Pecans.

Must…make…NOW!

This is the perfect recipe for all those blueberries hanging out in my fridge. I have so many I am freezing them daily. We linked up a great grilled corn recipe today. Come on over and check it out.

Oh wow, talk about mouthwatering! That Blueberry Crisp looks divine! I had no idea it was National Blueberry Month in the US, but what a great idea. I love blueberries, and even though I live in England, I would be more than happy to share in the celebrations! Thank you for sharing another wonderful Southern recipe (I love the name ‘dump cake’!) and for hosting Mouthwatering Mondays.

You’re so welcome! Thank you for always being so lovely and linking up your deliciousness! I think all food days should be celebrated no matter where you are ;-)

Oh my Lord, that looks delicious!! Going to have to hijack some blueberries from my daughter and make this for our cheat day…unfortunately that means we’ll have to eat it all in one day. Hmmm. Think that can be done? ;)

Ziplist looks really neat. I’ve been meaning to ask you for a while what you’re using for your recipe formatting. I’ve also tried out EasyRecipe on another blog of mine and it’s decent as well.

I’m slowly transferring everything over to ZipList because I LOVE the shopping list and recipe box options. SO wonderful.

Previously, I was using h-recipe and I was really happy with it, but i think ZipList is going to be the winner ;-)

i made this for my parents this past week and left it there, then I re-made it last night because the pictures weren’t what I wanted ;-), so at 8:30 last night I was out delivering tupperware bowls of this along with vanilla ice cream to friends :-) hee hee, my kids had a small dish of this with peaches for breakfast.

I don’t think there’s anything like making desserts from fresh fruit or even frozen. But with blueberries like what’s available now is a no brainer. It looks so amazing I could jump into my screen and get me some!

Your blueberry crisp makes me long for blueberry season which isn’t quite yet in my neck of the woods. Can’t wait! Today I’m sharing our whole wheat mocha nut muffins: chocolate + coffee = delicious! Blessings, ~Lisa

12. Sara @TomTheGirl says

i couldn’t help it – i went ahead and made this over the wknd when you tweeted the pic. thanks for the note to add the brown sugar and pecans. it really turned out great! the only thing i did differently (other than omitting the pineapple) was squeezing some fresh lemon juice over the blueberries. it was delicious!

I thought about squeezing lemon over this! I’m so glad you made a version and loved it. I think the brown sugar adds a depth that regular sugar just doesn’t and I love the pineapple!

YAY! :-) Thank you for letting me know! I love when I get the chance to inspire someone to make something!!!!

• Sara @TomTheGirl says

after i saw that pic??? how could i NOT make it?! and in case you were wondering, yes i did serve it over a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream. =) thanks again for the idea/recipe/inspiration. this one is going to be a family favorite for a long time to come!

xoxo

13. Paula says

I love blueberries and can’t wait for ours to be ready here. I make apple crisp all the time and until this post…never thought to make a blueberry one. I think that’s about to change :) Thanks for posting your recipe, it does look delicious!

Question? Do you mix up the cake mix & pour it over; or; do you just dump the dry mix over?? I would never have thought that Pineapple & blueberries would go together :)

You’re right! Thank you ;-) I corrected it. I had it in the draft, but it didn’t make it into the final cut!

You melt the butter and drizzle it over the top.

I only had a coconut cake mix in the house so I tried that…and because I made it before you updated the stick of butter I made it the way I’ve done dump cakes before – just random pats of butter along the top. It was lovely! Thanks for the great recipe!

Awe you are killin me with blueberry goodness! I was promising myself I would cut down on the sweet stuff we have been eating this summer! Now I have to make this dump crisp! It’s just too easy and looks so good!
    Thanks for the great instructions!

• valerie says

i just made this and took it out of my oven it was totally soupy did the recipe exactly too what did i do wrong theres no cake on top just soupy blueberries :(

Valerie, I’m so sorry — that’s sooo frustrating. It sounds like it needs to cook longer. Did you use fresh blueberries or canned blueberries? (trying to figure everything out) :-( hmmm.. I’ve seen the cake not get done enough and longer cooking works, but I’ve never had it soupy.

It’s not a stiff dish, the blueberries and pineapple cook down some, it’s very cobbler-ish. I’ve never had the top be soupy. Another commenter said she learned to make it by placing pats of butter on top instead of drizzling melted butter…..

I’m stumped, but I hope we can figure it out!

• valerie says

i used fresh organic blueberries all the ingrediants were organic so kinda expensive its still soupy no sign of the cake mix anywhere im going to throw it out. if you have a recipe for an actual blueberry crisp i want it for sure an oatmeal topping let me know thanks!

1. [...] this with The Healthy Home Economist, Midnight Maniac, My Sweet and Savory, Delightfully Dowling, A Southern Fairytale, Veggie Converter, Gluten Free Homemaker and Add a [...]