I adore this little lady by the name of Amanda.
Amanda has created this fun little club called the Secret Recipe Club.
It’s a fun little crapshoot.
You sign up and you get randomly assigned another blog from which to pull a recipe, make it and then re-blog it. It can be easy peasy, challenging, frustrating, fun, difficult, but most of all fun 🙂
I decided to sign up for the June/July challenge and I was assigned the blog: Random Acts of Food Princess Jay, as she’s known has an obvious love for all things Italian and good home cooked food — how could I not adore her? 🙂 She ends every post with Tutti Mangia, which from google I learned roughly translates into “Each one of you eat” 😉 Good advice, I’d say.
After a bit of scrolling, I came across a Citrus Pound Cake with Orange Sauce recipe that seemed perfect for summer.
We omitted the orange sauce, but if you have access to 12 blood oranges check out her recipe and try it! 🙂
Made with lemon and orange zests, eggs, buttermilk, sugar and flour, this cake just appealed to me.
I haven’t made a pound cake since before Nathan and I were married, 10 + years ago, way back in my restaurant management days.
In May, I bought a Microplane Zester, and I had yet to use it, so this was even more reason to test this recipe.
If you’ve never made a pound cake, never whipped egg whites into peak stages; I’d like to direct you towards this post on one of my favorite blogs – Baking Bites
- 2¼ C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ C sugar + ¼ C sugar
- 10 Tbsp butter, softened
- 4 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 large eggs
- ½ C buttermilk
- ¼ C orange juice (no pulp or freshly squeezed if you can rock that)
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (this can't be faked)
- The whites of 3 large eggs (save the yolks for scrambled eggs)
- Pre-heat oven to 325
- Spray a 10" bundt pan with baking spray, dust with flour and then spray again
- In a larger mixing cup/bowl measure out 2¼ C flour ( do not pack the measuring cups, spoon the flour into them and shake to level)
- Into the flour, mix the baking powder and salt; set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, 1½ C sugar and cream cheese at medium speed for about 7 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, ¼ C orange juice and lemon juice. Alternately add the flour and the buttermilk mixture to the creamed butter mixture. Begin and end with the flour mixture.
- Place 3 large egg whites in a bowl and beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form a tutorial on egg white peaking can be found here
- Add in ¼ C sugar, 1 Tbsp at a time until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg white mixture into the batter, ⅓ C at a time.
- Spoon batter into the bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes, or until a dry spaghetti noodle poked into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pan and then cool completely on a wire rack.
If you’re here for Mouthwatering Mondays – Welcome Back! Here are a few of my favorites from last week’s linky: