Cinnamon Streusel Topping
Do I have your attention yet?
For August’s Secret Recipe Club assignment, I was given the very lovely and charming blog – Permanent Posies
She named her blog after a shop that her grandmother owned. I love the feeling of history and family that threads its way throughout her blog. I could definitely see myself hanging out with her, creating in the kitchen and then devouring the goodies while laughing the whole time.
There are so many delicious recipes on her site, however the Apple Spice Walnut Cake kept whispering to me.
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Allspice, Vanilla, Almonds, Walnuts
This cake is not for beginners.
It’s not terribly difficult, but this cake requires three different stages and a bit of balance in the kitchen.
Trust me when I tell you, it’s worth it.
Thinly sliced apples
Tossed together with nutmeg, allspice and cornstarch – sauteed in butter until soft
Then there’s the layering – the layering – the layering – the layering.
Streusel, apples and cake batter.
Sautee’d apples – streusel – batter – apples – streusel – batter – streusel – batter
Bake at 350 for 1 hour 10 minutes (or until an uncooked spaghetti comes out clean)
Let the cake rest for 10 minutes in the pan, run a knife around the edges of the pan, place a wire cooling rack over the top of the bundt pan and then dump the pan over onto the wire rack releasing the cake. If the cake seems to stick a bit, tap the bottom of the cake pan with a knife a few times and let it sit.
Once the pan is released, you’ll have this delicious cake with an amazing caramelized apple crust
Allow the cake to cool for about 30 minutes prior to serving.
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced
- ¼ C sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 C sifted flour
- 1½ C dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 C cold butter
- 1 C chopped walnuts
- 1 box Vanilla Cake mix (and ingredients according to box)
- 1 C sour cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C chopped apple
- Use a mandoline to thinly slice 2 medium apples
- In a ziplock baggie: combine sugar, cornstarch and spices - add the apple slices and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Melt 3 Tbsp butter; add the apples and saute until soft.
- Combine flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in the butter (I use forks - you can use a pastry cutter, if you have one) Set aside
- Make cake mix according to box
- Add in - sour cream, vanilla-almond extract - cinnamon and chopped apples
- Mix until fully incorporated.
- Butter and PAM with baking spray a bundt pan
- Pour in the apples
- Top with 2 C streusel
- Pour ¾ of the batter over the apples and streusel
- Top with another 2 C streusel
- Pour the remaining batter over this and then sprinkle the rest of the streusel over this
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a dry spaghetti noodle comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, run a knife around the edges of the cake
- Using a good wire rack; place it over top of the cake pan and holding it very carefully - flip it upside down and then allow the cake to rest on the wire rack and cool completely
This post is part of the super fun Secret Recipe Club – each month we’re assigned a random blog from the other participants, we choose a recipe off their blog, make it – blog it – post it and it’s all kept secret until THE BIG REVEAL