I want to introduce you to a cookie.
This is no ordinary chocolate chip cookie
This is a dark chocolate lovers dream.
This cookie is chock full of dark cocoa powder, dark chocolate chips, coconut, pecans, real butter, sugar, dark brown sugar, real vanilla and eggs.
When Tina announced that this month’s Crazy Cooking Challenge was Chocolate Chip Cookies, I was excited. I love my own Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, but the idea of finding a new favorite intrigued me. I stumbled, searched on pinterest and googled and when I came upon this German Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe; I knew immediately that I had found the recipe for me! I absolutely, positively L-O-V-E German Chocolate Cake, so how could German Chocolate Cookies be bad?
I altered it a bit to satisfy my deep passion for dark chocolate and I upped the coconut ratio because I love coconut and I have to tell y’all – hot and melty and chewy out of the oven or cold for breakfast (ahem) these cookies are nothing short of spectacular. An ice cold glass of milk and a couple of these cookies – Tonguegasmic. Nathan actually moaned with pleasure when he bit into one fresh from the oven.
These are not for the feint of heart. These cookies are only for true chocoholics.
You have been warned.
Rich dark chocolate cookies with pecans and coconut.
- 1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 C dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 1 C packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (I used vanilla bean paste)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 C dark chocolate chips
- 1 C chopped pecans or 1 1/4 C pecan cookie pieces (these are super finely chopped)*
- 1 1/2 C sweetened coconut flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt - set aside
- Cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy; add in the eggs and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add in the dry ingredients one cup at a time, until all the ingredients are mixed; add in the dark chocolate chips, pecans and coconut - mix well.
- Using a cookie scoop, place the cookies (each about 1 Tbsp) a couple of inches apart on your cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 - 12 minutes (11 minutes was perfect for my oven)
* I prefer to chop my own pecans for these cookies so you get a good bite of pecan in each cookie. If you buy pecan cookie pieces that are very finely chopped, you'll want to up the 1 C to 1 1/4 C
To learn more about the monthly cooking challenge, click here.