Here in Texas, football season is in full swing
Whether it’s Friday nights watchin’ the boys on the field or couch coaching, football season means delicious food and fun.
Appetizers are a huge part of footballin’ and a couple of weeks ago I was inspired by a box of Ritz crackers to break out of my own comfort zone and make a cheesy appetizer which has here-to-fore never graced a table in my home.
That’s right – the cheeseball.
I’ve often been accused of being a cheeseball, marrying a cheeseball and giving birth to two cheeseballs – but I have never before made a cheeseball.
Until a trip to H-E-B and a box of Ritz Crackers inspired me
I have a love for green onions
and parmesan cheese
the fact that those two ingredients were featured in the recipe on the box, inspired me to throw caution to the wind and make my first cheeseball.
I was surprised by how easy it was and absolutely thrilled by how delicious it turned out to be.
Rumor has it that she was seen dippin’ and double dippin’ the cheeseball…….
This recipe is SO easy and SO delicious! If you’ve never made a cheeseball, this is the recipe that you should make your cheeseballin’ debut with.
- Inspired by this recipe by Ritz
- 2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1½ C favorite cheese blend, I recommend a 4 cheese blend with sharp cheddar
- ¾ C fresh grated parmesan cheese
- ½ C mayonnaise
- ½ bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 C chopped pecans
- Pimiento strips for lacing
- In a stand mixer or with a good hand mixer, blend together: parmesan cheese, cream cheese and cheese blend. Add in green onions, red pepper flakes and mayonnaise.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Shape into a ball or whatever shape your sports/party related theme calls for
- Press pecans into the cheeseball until coated and then decorate with pimiento strips (if desired)
- Serve with crackers, chips, carrots and celery sticks