Dark Chocolate cookies with a candy cane kiss swirl topping
Y’all have been so patient about waiting for this recipe! It’s been such a busy week and weekend – phew! Thanks for waiting, y’all!
These cookies are ridiculously delicious with the combination of rich dark chocolate and the cool zing from the creamy, delicious candy cane kisses. YUM. They were devoured by my family (Nathan even gave me a high five) and the staff at the school loved them and were begging for the recipe, too!
These aren’t a quick-throw-together cookie, they require melting and chilling, but they are SO worth it.
In a saucepan place butter and dark brown sugar with a bit of water – stir frequently until the butter is melted
Add in dark chocolate chips and stir frequently until almost all the chocolate is melted; remove from heat and continue to stir until the chocolate chips are full melted, add 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste to this and stir well. Pour into your large mixing bowl and let cool for about 10 minutes – stirring it around a couple of times to help the cooling process.
While the chocolate is cooling off: Sift 3 Cups of flour. From the sifted flour carefully measure out 2 1/2 Cups of flour and add it to a large mixing bowl. To the flour, add 1 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt – sift together.
When the cooling off time is over for the chocolate mixture (sounds like it’s been in trouble, doesn’t it?) beat in one egg at a time on high speed.
Reduce speed to low and add in dry ingredients, mixing until just blended – don’t forget to scrape the sides.
Chill the dough for about an hour in the fridge
While the dough is chilling, unwrap a bag of candy cane kiss candies (having the kids help do this is fun, but beware of sneaky candy cane kiss devourers)
Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
Roll dough into 1/2″-ish balls and place on un-greased cookie sheet or parchment lined cookie sheet about 1 1/2″ to 2″ apart.
Bake about 7 minutes or until a piece of uncooked spaghetti comes out clean (depends on your oven, could be up to 9 minutes) Do NOT overbake (you might want to test cook two cookies to see the timing in your oven)
Place a candy cane kiss in the middle of each hot out of the oven cookie
After about 5 minutes, take a tooth pick and lightly swirl the kiss on the cookie, it will just melt down onto the cookie in a pretty swirl pattern
Remove these cookies from the cookie sheet, place on a baking rack and place in the fridge to chill and set the candy cane kiss swirl.
Serve straight out of the refrigerator or at room temperature – delicious either way!
- ¾ C ( 1½ Sticks) butter
- 1½ C packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2¼ C dark chocolate chips
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 eggs
- 2½ C sifted all purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bag Candy Cane Kiss candies
- Put butter, dark brown sugar and water in a large saucepan and stir over low heat until melted.
- Add dark chocolate chips and stir until most of the chocolate chips are melted, remove from heat and continue to stir until all the chocolate is melted.
- Add in ½ tsp vanilla bean paste and mix well.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and allow to sit and cool for about 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times to help cooling.
- Carefully measure 2½ C of sifted all purpose flour into a large bowl; add in baking soda and salt - sift together
- When the chocolate is cooler, add in one egg at a time beating each on high speed until completely blended.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in dry ingredients, don't forget to scrape the sides and bottom, until blended.
- Chill the dough for about an hour - while it's chilling - unwrap the Candy Cane Kiss candies
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- Roll dough into ½" to 1" balls and place on un-greased or parchment lined baking sheet about 1½" apart.
- Bake about 7 minutes (could be as long as 9 minutes - do NOT overbake)
- When the cookies come out of the oven, place a Candy Cane Kiss on top of each hot cookie in the middle and let them sit about 5 minutes.
- Using a toothpick, swirl the softened Candy Cane Kiss until you like the pattern, it will just melt down onto the cookie.
- Remove the swirl topped cookies from the baking sheet and place them on a cooling rack in the refrigerator to set the candy.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough and candies.
- Serve chilled straight out of the refrigerator or at room temperature, either way - DELICIOUS!