Whenever we go out to eat and a bread basket is placed on the table, I will inevitably grab the baguette.
The crispy on the outside, soft, warm, and yeasty on the inside baguette – baguettes are one of the few breads whose siren song I am simply unable to resist.
There’s nothing quite so wonderful the day after Thanksgiving as a Turkey sandwich with all the trimmings, whether you prefer cranberries and turkey or turkey with mayo and lettuce, I’ve got a new leftover Turkey sandwich that’s going to knock your socks off.
Sweet Caramelized Onion, Turkey, & Swiss Toasted Baguette Sandwiches
While the butter and heat worked their magic on the onion, I heated up the Mini Baguettes (2) and sliced some of our leftover Turkey – I used my Poblano and Citrus Roasted Turkey recipe.
When the baguettes and the onions were ready I got a slice of Swiss Cheese and laid it out with the rest of the ingredients
I sliced open both baguettes and drizzled the delicious butter and onion sauce from the pan onto the bread
After I drizzled the inside of both the top and bottom of each baguette, I placed sliced turkey on the bottom half of the baguette and topped the turkey with caramelized onions and placed a slice of swiss cheese on the other piece of mini baguette.
I placed these sandwich halves on a cookie sheet facing up and placed them in a 375 F oven for about 7 minutes – until the cheese was melted
I added fresh sliced avocado to my sandwich
YUM YUM YUM
and left Nathan’s as it was.
The resulting sandwiches were…
Well – in a word – Tonguegasmic.
Sadly, the mini baguettes are not available near me yet, however I can order them online from Sister Schubert’s and you can bet your sweet bippy that I’m going to be ordering several bags.
- 2 mini baguettes
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion, sliced
- Sliced Leftover Turkey
- 1 slice swiss cheese, halved
- Fresh Avocado slices
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter and add in sliced onions. Let cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are caramelized
- While the onions are caramelizing, heat 2 Mini Baguettes according to package
- Slice leftover Turkey, you only need a couple of pieces per sandwich
- When the onions are finished, heat the oven to 375 F and prepare to assemble your sandwiches
- Slice each Mini Baguette in half
- Drizzle the juice from the caramelized onions onto all Mini Baguette slices
- Place sliced Turkey onto the bottom sandwich pieces and top with caramelized onions
- Place half a slice of Swiss Cheese onto the top sandwich piece
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake about 7 minutes - or until the cheese is melted and the sandwich heated.
- Assemble the sandwiches and enjoy.
- Top with fresh avocado slices prior to serving - this is my preference