Meet Eggy

Everyone, say Hi to Eggy.

Eggy, say Hi to everyone.

eggplant

Y’all wouldn’t believe the trouble that little bugger up there is giving me.

Nathan and I had such success with The 17 Day Diet (he 40 pounds, me 30 pounds) that we decided to re-visit the first 2 cycles after the New Year.  Oh yes, that’s now ;-)

I know I keep promising to share recipes with y’all – and honestly, I will.

Right now, however, I’m asking for y’all’s help.

That little purple veggie up there is driving me crazy – I just can’t think of what I want to do with it.

It can’t be fried or breaded – needs to be made baked or grilled or sauteed – no cheese – minimal fat -

Tomatoes, onions, garlic, chilies, peppers and the like are all okayall welcome actually.

So, I’d love for y’all to share your ideas, thoughts, tips, tricks etc…

Share them in the comments, e-mail, me whatever… if I make it and love it, you and your idea will be featured on here!!

I’ve already gotten some great ideas on Twitter:

Anna @TheMedicoreMom Suggested: In a Casserole with Shrimp

@Tarable said that her husband Grilled it with Curry Powder

The Lovely @LoveFeast shared her family’s favorite way to serve eggplant

Cassie suggested the super unhealthy, but oh my holy heavenly deliciousness of frying it and smothering it with tomatoes and cheese

Help me, my friends!  Quick and delicious, healthy and favorites! Help me to figure out how to add Eggy up there to our repertoire, before he gets eyes and ears and a smile placed upon him by my ever so creative kids and becomes a family pet instead.

Comments

1. Monkey's Uncle says

It’s typically prepared with miso sauce in Japanese cooking (so I’ve been told), and it’s also supposed to be delicious grilled and drizzled with curry oil.

• Monkey's Uncle says

Melissa also said that if you cut half inch slices and bake them, you can use those as the “crust” (she did the air quotes) for mini pizzas. Top with tomato sauce, roasted tomatoes, or your toppings of choice!

2. Beth Suetos says

cut in cubes and drizzle or spray with EVOO and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper and roast in 400 oven til tender! SUPER YUMMY!

I don’t know much about eggplant, except that it’s good roasted {with other veggies} or made parmesan-chicken style. Now, while I don’t have a recipe of my own, I have made the following recipes & they were delish.
    Good luck in your Cooking!
    JeNae @ The Terrace Housewife´s most recent brilliance ..Wordless Wednesdays

4. Laura in Texas says

I have a fabulous Japanese recipe my exchange family mother used. Since it is too lengthy for the comments, I’ll have to e-mail you a copy. You’ll also need some ground chicken to go with it. Will try to get it to you later today; wish me luck!

Baba Ganoush!!! so simple and Totally tasty! just prick it all over and roast it till deflated :) then pulse it in the food processor with olive oil, garlic and a bit of yogurt. can add tahini if you’ve got it, but not nec. Salt and pepper, of course – maybey some cayenne to spice it up. Dip with celery, carrots or whatev diet allows.
    Liberty´s most recent brilliance ..Perfectly Imperfect Chirstmas tree

6. Paula says

I’m not providing any help with recipes I’m afraid, just want to say that I think it’s excellent that you and your husband lost so much weight! Best wishes with the next cycle.
    Paula´s most recent brilliance ..Happy New Year!

7. Ariel Stepp says

Hi Rachel, per my Tweet I like chopping up eggplant and simmering in a deep pan with water and olive oil (or a soup broth like chicken broth), your choice of spices (salt, pepper, paprika, etc.), garlic, sweet onions and chopped up leeks.

My friend likes slicing it thin and using it as a replacement for the pasta in lasagna.

Then you have my italian fiance who suggests stuffing it with whatever you like – veggies and cheese or ground beef/turkey, mushrooms, onions, garlic etc. Or bake it in thin layers with potato, tomatoes, indian spices and ground lamb.

Good luck!

It is SO good! We have made it three times in a week and it has never lasted more than one day buacese we eat it right away! At least it is a pretty healthy food to eat in mass quantities!