Oh yes, you read that correctly.
Dark, Rich, Deep, Fudgey Chocolate Bundt Cake topped with a deliciously decadent and simple Kahlua Glaze.
When this month’s Crazy Cooking Challenge
was announced as the search for the ULTIMATE Chocolate Cake recipe, I immediately did 2 things: 1) Groaned (remember? 17 Day Diet) 2) jumped on the internet and started searching.
I am a complete and total chocolate snob and any old chocolate cake just doesn’t get my taste buds dancing – up to this point in life, the only two chocolate cakes that have earned my love and passion are the German Chocolate Cake and Texas Sheet Cake.
It took me a couple of days to find a cake recipe that got me excited. I don’t know WHY I didn’t immediately go to Bree’s blog ~ she is after all, fairly amazing and I’m so excited to meet her and be a Food Community Leader with her in a few weeks at Blissdom.
I was immediately drawn to this recipe by the combination of chocolate and Kahlua – I have fond memories of late nights on my apartment patio with my roommate (and pledge class sorority sister, Nicole) that involve kahlua and cream and laughing until we cried. I honestly couldn’t tell y’all the last time that I had Kahlua – so off I went to the liquor store and then the grocery store for cake mix and pudding (yes, cake mix – deal with it)
The only changes that I made to Bree’s Recipe were to use Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix, Dark Chocolate Chips and a Fudge Pudding (why yes, I am a Dark Chocolate lover, why do you ask?)
I made this cake for Nathan’s birthday party (along with non-alcoholic cupcakes for the kids) and I would have taken beautiful pictures of a slice of cake accompanied by the Kahlua bottle and some dark chocolate chips – if the cake hadn’t been positively inhaled and devoured. There were actual, honest to goodness moans of delight from everyone who tasted the cake.
Wickedly – sinfully – amazingly tonguegasmic, that is what this cake is.
- 1 (18.25 oz) box Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix (without pudding in the mix)
- 1 (3.9 oz) box Chocolate Fudge Pudding Mix
- 2 C Sour Cream
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 C vegetable oil
- 1/3 C Kahlua
- 1/2 bag or 6 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp to 1/4 C Kahlua
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Spray a bundt pan with baking spray - or grease and coat with cocoa powder to prevent sticking
- In a large mixing bowl combine: Cake Mix, pudding, sour cream, eggs, vegetable oil and Kahlua.
- Mix well
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon - fold in the chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into your prepared bundt pan
- Bake for roughly 1 hour; when I checked my cake at 50 minutes - it was done
- Cool in the bundt pan for about 10 minutes, turn the cake out onto a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, start the glaze.
- Combine the Kahlua and powdered sugar and whisk until smooth - more powdered sugar will give you a thicker consistency - a hint of cinnamon will add an additional depth to the cake
- Pour the glaze over the cake and enjoy
This cake is sinfully, wickedly rich and fudgey - serve with a tall glass of milk, hot coffee or even a colorado bulldog. Be prepared for offerings of love and servitude for another slice :-)