Mac n Cheese.
It’s one of the ultimate comfort foods – rich, warm, creamy, cheesy – it’s one of those foods that can take you back in time, make you feel happy and safe all in one delicious dish.
Nathan, at 36, still loves few things as much as a good bowl of Mac n Cheese.
I, however, like a little bit more zing and zip in my dishes.
Give me some green chilies, cilantro, lime and even a little bit of cumin – and my Southern heart starts to go pitter pat.
For this month’s VELVEETA® and Ro*Tel® Weeknight WOW! post – I was given the recipe for their Easy Santa Fe Skillet to test and try and write about.
As is par for the course, I made a few tweaks, but the base recipe is solid.
It really is an adult Southwestern version of the ultimate comfort food.
We subbed ground Turkey for the ground beef – upped the onion factor – used Mexican Ro*Tel® with Lime and Cilantro and Mexican VELVEETA®
and it’s a slight possibility that I may have upped the Cumin factor, too.
are y’all done with my chattering about the deliciousness of this revved up adult version of your childhood comfort food fav?
How about I just share the recipe with y’all?
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¾ C diced yellow onion
- 2 C water
- 1 (10 oz) Ro*Tel® Mexican with Lime and Cilantro
- 2 tsp ground cumin (divided 1 and 1)
- 3 C uncooked Rotini
- 1 C chopped bell peppers (I used red and yellow)
- ½ lb (8 oz) VELVEETA® Mexican, cubed
- In a medium (cast-iron) skillet, melt the butter
- Saute the onions for a few minutes until just softened, add in ground turkey and 1 tsp cumin, cook the turkey until done (165° F) - if needed, drain the skillet contents and return to the skillet
- Add water, Ro*Tel® and 1 tsp cumin; mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in rotini and peppers; cover.
- Simmer over medium low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the pasta is tender and the majority of the water is absorbed.
- Add VELVEETA®; cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until melted. Stir frequently.
Now y’all don’t forget about the Weeknight WOW! Sweepstakes! $1000 is being given away each week and a grand prize winner will win $15K! (so – why haven’t you entered yet? it’s easy peasy lemon squeezy) Just go
VELVEETA® and RO*TEL® are hosting an amazing sweepstakes to encourage simple, easy weeknight family meals and entertainment ideas. Winners will be picked each week, and the more points you collect the more chances you have of winning! Grand prize winner will receive $15,000!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of VELVEETA/RO*TEL. The opinions and text are all mine.