17 Day Diet Eggplant Parmesan

Do y’all remember when I posted about Eggy?

About the 17 Day diet, our successes and my complete lack of inspiration for what to do with eggplant that fit into The 17 Day Diet parameters.

Little did I know… there’s a recipe for Eggplant Parmesan in the back of The 17 Day Diet book.

My brother started raving about it, another friend who has had amazing success with the diet, also raved about the recipes.. so I threw caution to the wind and decided that I had little to lose (if you’ll excuse the pun) by experimenting with this spongy-purpley-black veggie

I can’t be the only one who wants to put googly eyes and ears on them… they just remind me of little purple piglets.

This recipe called for 1 C low carb marinara sauce, I have yet to understand why anyone buys spaghetti/marinara/red sauce when it is so unbelievably simple to make

2 (1-lb) Cans of  Petite Diced Tomatoes – 1/2 a large onion, chopped – 7 garlic cloves, minced and 1 1/2 TBSP of your favorite garlic seasoning (I am partial to Zatarain’s Big and Zesty Garlic and Herb Seasoning – and I have been since LOOOONG before I started partnering with them)  sweat the onions, add the garlic and tomatoes and seasoning and simmer for 30 minutes to all day.  No matter what you pair this with – it will be devoured.

This was my secret weapon for this unknown dish – This 17 Day Diet Purple Spongy Veggie Thing – I knew that no matter what I put this sauce on – it would be edible.

Caution. Meet the wind, and prepare to be tossed.

The first time I made this, I completely made it according to the book – we ate it.

The second time, I adjusted it according to our preferences and we ate it and enjoyed it.

The book suggests pressing the 1/4″ eggplant slices into the fat free parm cheese to coat – in our opinion, this is too much.

I sliced the eggplant 1/4″ thick – dipped it into the frothy egg whites

and lightly pressed both sides into fat free parmesan cheese (yes, the shaker kind) that I had mixed with a bit of paprika and fresh ground pepper.

Spray a vented pan with baking spray and bake at 400 °F for 20 minutes, turn and bake for 10 minutes.

Top with your delicious tomato sauce and serve

17 Day Diet Eggplant Parmesan

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Yield: 2 servings

17 Day Diet Eggplant Parmesan

Delicious and healthy eggplant parmesan

• 1 Large Eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4" rounds
  • 4 egg whites
  • Fat Free Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 C favorite tomato sauce (please make your own, it's so easy and so much yummier)

1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F
  2. Mix Fat Free (shaker) Parmesan Cheese with a couple dashes, paprika and fresh ground parmesan cheese.
  3. Peel the eggplant and slice into 1/4" thick rounds
  4. Whisk the egg whites until frothy
  5. Dip the eggplant slices into the egg whites until coated - lightly dip each side into the parmesan cheese mixture and lay on a vented broiler sheet
  6. Put in 400°F oven for 20 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes
  7. Serve topped with your homemade tomato sauce

Rachel Says

You can buy a pre-made marinara sauce, but I don't know why you would when it is so easy and delicious and simple to make your own.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

I love eggplant parmesan (in fact I had some at a restaurant for lunch yesterday!) and your version sounds so much better for me than the traditional one. It looks so delicious with your lovely marinara sauce too. It’s funny, I never knew what to do with eggplant either, and then once I started cooking it a year or so ago and realised how delicious it is, I can’t get enough of it!
    April @ The 21st Century Housewife´s most recent brilliance ..Gone with a Handsomer Man,
    A Teeny Bit of Trouble & An Interview with Author Michael Lee West

Huh. I guess I never really knew what eggplant parmesan WAS!

I abandoned the 17-day diet pretty quickly, but I’ve stuck with low-carb for a few weeks now, and it’s great! I’ve lost 9 lbs and have completely changed the way I eat. (for the most part. Feel free to act like you don’t see the Oreo cake I linked up today!) Anyway – thanks for another healthy recipe!
    Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect´s most recent brilliance ..Monday Morning Mmmm: Oreo Pudding Cake

Ok, I know I shouldn’t judge but … fat free parm? How exactly does that happen? And what does it taste like? I’m sort of afraid of eggplant, too, but … moussaka makes it better. That’s about the only way I’ve ever eaten it actually. Glad you found a way to make this fit your tastes. I’m like you in that I never keep anything as written.
    Michelle´s most recent brilliance ..Ever Cooked At A Ronald McDonald House?

I’m not a diet, but I’d looooooooove to eat your Eggplant-Parmesan anytime!

Thanks for hosting this party and hope you’re having a wonderful holiday
    Winnie

5. Monkey's Uncle says

This is Melissa’s favorite snack! I end up making it about once a week, so I’m definitely going to give it a try this way.

Hey Rachel! Sorry I’m a bit late linking up this week. Easter was wonderful, but a bit chaotic around here! ;~) That eggplant parm looks amazing! I never would have thought it could be done in a healthy way and still look and taste so good. LOL Definitely gonna have to pin this one. Thanks so much for hosting and have an awesome week! ~Mary
    Mary´s most recent brilliance ..Creamy "Pinto-Cado" Dip

7. Benjina says

It’s a GREAT post!!! I’ll tell this to my friends!!! They’re on diet now…I feel thankful that there is someone like you providing such a helpful info for us here!! Thank you!!!
    Benjina´s most recent brilliance ..17 Day Diet

8. peggy says

This recipe sounds delicious, but it is NOT the 17 Day Diet Recipe. If you are on the diet, and are staying true to it, do NOT use this recipe. Use the recipe in the book.

9. skye says

You are too good a woman to eat off the shelf Parmesan Cheese. Plus, it’s an excitotoxin – literally blows up brain cells. This recipe, however, is excellent for the brain and super easy to make – tasty too! I’m a certified raw food chef and here’s how we make it:

Parmesan Cheese
    1 Cup raw Almonds
    1/4 Cup ground Golden Flax
    1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast (available at Whole Foods)
    1 to 2 cloves of Garlic
    2 teaspoons of Sea Salt

Directions:
    In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, blend almonds, garlic, and salt until fluffy.
    Whisk in the ground golden flax and nutritional yeast.
    Store in the refrigerator in a sealed glass container for up to 2 months (if it lasts that long!).
    ** Note – you can buy ground flax, but without refrigeration it goes rancid pretty quickly. It’s super easy to grind your own. Buy it from bulk containers at a Whole Foods type store and grind in a coffee grinder or Magic Bullet.

Thank you for the heads up and recipe, Skye!
      This is actually the only recipe that we use that shaker parm for. We are certified REAL freshly grated parm users ;-) I’m very interested to try your version!

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and share your recipe!

Happy 2014! Rachel

1. [...] This post is shared at: What’s Cooking Wednesday, Gluten-Free Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday, Sustainable Ways, Healthy 2Day, Real Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked, Cast Party Wednesday, Thriving on Thursday, Tastastic, Full Plate Thursday, Creative Juice Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Fresh Bites Friday, Foodie Friday, Freaky Friday, Friday Food, Seasonal Celebration, Sunday School, Super Food Sunday, Sugar-Free Sunday, Melt in Mouth Monday, Monday Mania, Barnyard Hop, Meatless Monday, Mouthwatering Monday [...]

2. לחמניות גבינה ואגוזים מקמח תפוחי אדמה » משהו מתוק - הבלוג של וויני says:

[…] Sharing this post with  CreativeMondays, TheSweetSpot, MopItUpMondays, MixItUpMonday,MeltInYourMouth, WeekendEating, CreativeCorner, AThouthernFairtaale, BYOB, ProjectQueen, ChefInTraining, TrickOrTreat, ShowMeWhatYouGot, ALittleBirdieToldMe, Mandy'sRecipeBox, TastyTuesday, Tuesday'sTastyTidbits, 2MaidsABaking, MyFavoriteFinds, SugarAndDots, GratefulBelly, JaqsStudio, WowMeWednesday, NewlywedsRecipe, BizzyBakes, The36Avenue, Tastetastic, FullPlateThursday, FirefliesAndJellybeans, HousewivesOfRiverton, MyCrowdedKitchen, SundayRounUp, KitchenFun, PetalsToPicots, SerenitySaturday, FoodFriday, ScrumptiousSunday, SundaeScoop, PositivelySolendid, EverydayMom'sMeals, PetiteHermine, Sweet&SimpleSunday, TheSweetDetails, WhatMakeYouSayMmmm, TryNewRecipeTuesday, TuesdayLinkyParty, TuesdayTrivia, ShareItLinkIt, Tuesday'sTable, WonderfulFoodWednesday, BackForSecpmds, LookWhatIMade, WorkItWednesday, WhatWeWoreRead&Made, CreateAndShare, WonderfulWednesday, WickedGoodWednesdays, WickedAwesomeWednesday, WhatchWippedUpWednesday, Shor&ShareWednesday, Ducks'NaRow, ThrivingOnThrusday, What'sCookinWednesday, WhatchWorkUpWednesday, TastyThursdays, ShareYourCupThursday, CreativeTimeOut, TheBusyBees, Thrusday'sTreasures, FantasticThursday, HomemakingLinkup, GingerlyMadeShow&Tell, DomesticSuperhero, FoodtasticFriday, SimplyCreateThursday, ShowOffFriday, FreedomFriday, FoodieFriday, FoodieFriendsFriday, PetalsToPicots, BffOpenHouse, FinishedFriday, InspirationSpotlight, TheWeekendRetreat, TheHumbleBrag, ThePinJunkie, WeekendPotluck, LittleHouseFriday, DianaRamblsPinMe, SaturdaySpotlight, SpotlightSaturday, CraftCreate&Inspire, SuperSaturday, SayG'daySaturday, Dare2Share, SimpleLivingFoodieFriday, Michelle'sTastyCreations, BouquetOfTalent, WillCookForSmiles, SweetAndSavory, TriedAndTrueRecipes, CleverChicks, SeeYaInTheGumbo, MealtimeMonday, CupcakeNBake, ANewCreation, RecipeSharingMonday, SweetSharingMonday, WatchOutMartha, PintasticTuesday,  Fluster'sCreativeMuster, LadybirdLn, MyBloggyFriends, MakeTheSceneMonday 0000 « עוגות שמרים מבצק בריוש ללא חמאה / חיתוכיות (בלונדיס) עם קמח תפוחי אדמה » הדפס […]