Homemade Nutella

Happy Monday!  Are you cyber shopping your way through the internet?

This month is flying by and I’m so floored by the talent that these amazing guest posters have shared.

Now that Thanksgiving is behind us… it’s full tilt ahead to Christmas!

I met today’s guest poster in New Orleans last year when we went to a Zatarain’s Krewe immersion weekend.  Steph is adorable, talented, sweet, funny and so full of life and joy!  If you haven’t read her blog, Lick My Spoon – you should  Steph’s blog is filled with gorgeous photos, mouthwatering recipes and fun stories from her travels with her sweet husband.

Steph pretty much solidifies why I love her with her recipe today!

Don’t forget to stop by According 2 Kelly to get some Craft inspiration and Skip To My Lou for your daily does of Sewing inspiration, plus the links to the other 2 amazing giveaways we have going on!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Holiday Homemade Nutella
Holiday Homemade Nutella

Hey y’all! I can’t even tell you how excited I am to be guest posting on A Southern Fairytale. Almost as excited I am to be saying “y’all” in a post. I hope it sounds more natural in your head than it does in mine. I’d make an awkward Southerner – unlike my dear friend, Rachel, who makes a cute-as-a-button Southern Belle, cowboy boots and all. I digress.

I’m thrilled to be participating in this Holiday Bake Sew Craft Along! I’m loving all these amazing handmade gift ideas. Homemade food gifts are my favorite things to give during the holidays. It just makes me smile to think of giving something I’ve made with love that friends and family can fill their bellies with.

In holidays past these Christmas Cookie Jars have been a big hit, but I think this year I’ve found something else that may just top that: Homemade Nutella. Good heavens. This stuff is divine.

Homemade Nutella Ingredients

Homemade Nutella Ingredients

And so easy to make. No melting chocolate, no heating milk, or double boilers. Literally, this recipe is just six ingredients blended to smooth, creamy decadence, and poured into a pretty jar. That’s it! Oh, and did I mention, it’s vegan and gluten-free? Yep, this Nutella is a winner.

Nutella in the Vitamix

Blend, Whir, Yum

I found dry roasted hazelnuts at my Trader Joe’s so that saved me some time. They weren’t perfectly peeled, and had about half of the skin still on, but that’s fine since everything gets pulverized anyway. If you are going to toast and skin the hazelnuts yourself, check out this post from My Baking Addiction for a good trick on how to peel hazelnuts with ease.

hazelnuts

They’re not perfectly skinned. Perfectly ok.

You will be sure to make somebody very very happy with this homemade Nutella. It’s pretty flippin amazing slathered on banana bread. A spoonful of it will transform your morning coffee into something spectacular. Yeah…you may want to make a double batch.

Homemade Nutella (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
This decadent hazelnut chocolate spread is absurdly good, easy to make, and surprisingly not that bad for you! (Adapted from The Kitchn.)

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Makes: about 2 cups

2 cups toasted hazelnuts, peeled
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted to liquid form
1 cup powdered sugar (check that it’s GF if that’s a concern)
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Preparation

1. Blend the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the remaining ingredients and continue blending, scraping down the sides as necessary, until it is as smooth as possible.
2. Transfer your homemade bliss into a jar or resealable container and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Homemade Nutella

Homemade Nutella

If you want a second helping of what I’m dishing up, pop on over to Lick My Spoon. You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest! Lick My Spoon, go ahead, you’ll like it!

Homemade Nutella

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 2 Cups

Recipe by Stephanie
  • 2 cups toasted hazelnuts, peeled
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted to liquid form
  • 1 cup powdered sugar (check that it’s GF if that’s a concern)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Rachel Says

!Steph Says: Note on equipment: If you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix, now is the time to use it. Otherwise, a food processor will work just fine, you may just have to scrape down the sides and process a bit longer to get the smooth consistency you want.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

I’m not a fan of chocolate, but I am a fan of you both, so I had to come here and say HOWDY! If I liked chocolate, I would be slobbering all up on this screen. Believe it.
    Busydad´s most recent brilliance ..Costumes

This is a fabulous gift idea and such a great recipe. For Canadian readers, Redpath Icing Sugar is gluten free.
    Also, WalMart’s Great Value Brand is apparently gluten free as well and marked as so on the packaging.
    Paula´s most recent brilliance ..Snow Figures Cookie Trio

3. Kristel says

This looks great! Did you ever replace the powdered (very refined) sugar with honey? I want to make this but have been steering clear of any highly refined products.

4. Karen says

Trying to figure out why mine is thick / pasty and not a smooth Nutella like consistency. I used the 16oz bag of hazelnuts from trader joes and perhaps that is more than the two cups you measured out for the recipe? When using cuisinart my hazelnuts never turned into paste – more corn meal like. Thoughts?

Hi Amanda,
      Try adding more coconut oil (in liquid form) and processing and scraping down the sides more. The more you process it, the more oil is released from the nuts, which helps it get that smooth consistency you want. The coconut oil helps it along too. You really have to process the heck out of it. Also, try processing the nuts and oil first before adding the cocoa and sugar.
      -s-
      Steph @ Lick My Spoon´s most recent brilliance ..12 Days of Cookies

5. KatieAnn says

Hey! I just made this today and it turned out PPERFECT! I love it! But I’m curious why it only has a two week life in the fridge? (I maybe got a little excited and doubled the recipe) thanks!

Hi KatieAnn,

So glad you loved it! Double batch! Go on with your bad self!

The 2 week guideline is on the (very) safe side. To be honest, I had mine in the fridge for well over a month and it was still good. Personally, my rule of thumb is, if it looks, smells, and tastes good, I’ll eat it :)

-s-
      Steph @ Lick My Spoon´s most recent brilliance ..Wailea Wine and Food Festival {Maui}

6. Lily Turtletail says

Made this today – excellent flavor and texture. it has been in the refrigerator for the last few hours and the texture has become more dense – it was rather loose immediately after processing. So glad I made this. Thanks for the great recipe and the troubleshooting suggestions. I used a food processor and really processed the nuts, adding the coconut oil slowly which made the whole process easier. Now I’m thinking about how to make Nutella-flavored lip balm …

7. April says

My husband and daughter are allergic to hazelnuts, but are CRAZY for chocolate. And of course recipes using Nutella are all over Pinterest. I decided to try your recipe (after reading about 15 others) using almond butter. I could have roasted my own almonds, etc., but using Barney Butter seemed so much easier since I already had it, and it is already the perfect creamy texture. It is really good! Instead of sugar I used 48 drops of NuNaturals Vanilla liquid stevia. I also left my coconut oil solid (I’m pregnant and have 5 young kids. I’ll take any shortcuts I can!), and it worked just fine. I just put the ingredients in a 1 quart Mason jar and used my immersion blender right in the jar. The coconut oil blended up perfectly, and I have a smooth, creamy texture. I’m going to move it into a 1 pint jar just to save space, but it will be way easier to clean out all the chocolatey goodness from a canning jar than my blendtec. Of course if I had started with nuts instead of nut butter I would have used my blender. My husband got back from a 2-week trip last night, so we are having Valentine’s day on Saturday. We are starting with crepes for breakfast, and this Nutella is my surprise. I’m really excited! Thank you! This is much healthier than regular chocolate sauce with all the protein from the nuts, good fats and natural sweetener. Thanks again!

8. April says

I forgot to add that I only used 1 cup of almond butter. The one time I’ve had Nutella was when I was 10 and my brother brought it home from Italy, so I don’t know how pronounced the nut flavor is supposed to be, but this seemed plenty almondy to me.

9. Ellen says

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! It turned out perfectly! I was concerned at first bc it was a bit gritty, but I added a bit more coco oil & blended some more for a smooth & creamy finished product. I used my Vitamix. Not so sure it would be as good w/ a regular food processor. Thanks again! :-)