Southern Skillet Cornbread

There are some things that are unequivocally associated with the south and southern kitchens.

Like Cast Iron and Cornbread.

cast iron skillet cornbread

I don’t remember a time when Cast Iron and Cornbread weren’t a part of my life.

Cornbread is a part of our dressing and stuffing, it’s a side for a meal, it’s an accompaniment for sausage, perfect with cheese, or just hot and slathered with butter because you’re craving good, delicious comfort food to warm your body and soothe your soul.

slice of cornbread

15 years ago, Nathan’s family introduced me to his Gran’s Fried Cornbread.  Cornbread batter is dropped into cast iron skillets filled with hot grease and fried into discs.  This blew my mind.

Who knew you could do that?  I mean obviously I knew about hushpuppies, but FRIED CORNBREAD.

In case you’re wondering, that’s good stuff.  They serve the fried cornbread with homemade beans, and it is both messy and delicious.

My world was rocked.

My family was definitely more traditional; cornbread was baked in stick form (cast iron molds – which I have inherited) in skillets, muffin form, and even in pyrex.  We pretty much subscribe to there being no wrong way to make cornbread.

measuring spoons

We’ve eaten a lot of cornbread over the past few weeks.  Apparently South Texas finally got the memo that it’s Winter, because the weather has been dreary and grey, so I’ve made lots of this Buttery, skillet cornbread to serve with Roasted Poblano Turkey Chili, Jalapeno sausage and beans, Spicy Jambalaya and Loaded Baked Potato Soup.

In case you’re wondering just how good this cornbread is:

Licking the crumbs off the plate

Southern Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread

• 5 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 2/3 C yellow cornmeal
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 2/3 C milk
  • 1/4 C + 2 Tbsp (6 Tbsp) melted butter

1. Place a 12" Cast Iron skillet into your oven and turn it on to 425°F to preheat
  2. Sift your flour and measure it out, place the flour into a large mixing bowl
  3. Add in sugar, baking powder, salt, and cornmeal (whisk together)
  4. Melt the butter, while the butter is melting; whisk the two eggs and milk together.
  5. Pour the egg mixture into the dry mix and blend well with a wooden spoon.
  6. Drizzle the melted butter over the mixture and gently mix until just blended.
  7. Remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and pour the cornmeal batter into the sizzling cast iron skillet - this gives you that crispy crusty bottom
  8. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes, start checking at 15 or 16 minutes. The top will be a lovely golden color and a piece of dry spaghetti will come out with just a few crumbs, when poked in the center of the cornbread for testing.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

1. bebe says

Your grandfather loved to crumble up cornbread in milk, and so did I. It was our Sunday evening meal on many,many, many Sunday nights when we were too full from Sunday lunch to want much else. Granddaddy ate his in buttermilk. I preferred sweet milk. Yum! So good.

Hey Gloria,

That’s how my GrandDaddy ate it, too! Crumbled up in a glass of buttermilk, my mom preferred sweet milk ;-)

I haven’t made the fried cornbread myself, but I am trying to find Gran’s recipe and knock the remembering of it into my husband’s head ;-) I’ll share it as soon as I have it!

Rachel, this sound delicious and to be honest, I have never made corn bread this way. I just brought home a great, big old cast iron skillet that belonged to my mother-in-law and this sounds like the perfect recipe to christen this pan. My husband loves corn bread, so he’ll be a happy guy! Thanks for sharing!
    Cindy Eikenberg´s most recent brilliance ..Sunday Reflections – Weddings and Sons

It’s okay, Heather — I believe there are support groups for southerners who haven’t grown up with Cast Iron ;-)

(j/k) … maybe

You know I still love ya girl

My Mom used to make those little cornbread pancakes, they are so delicious. Often she would mix in crumbled up pan sausage, perhaps some bacon or even ham. There were a few times that she would drop in some leftover corn with a bit of onion or just whatever was at hand.

I remember standing at the bus stop with a few of them in a paper napkin, nibbling away as I waited to go to school. I still make them occassionally for my guys, they are always a treat.

I love honey butter on my cornbread, Karly ;-) I didn’t grow up with sweet cornbread, and there are a LOT Of people who’d tell you that true southern cornbread doesn’t have sugar in it, but I beg to differ ;-)

I don’t know that there’s really a way to go wrong with cornbread made from scratch, y’know ;-) mmmm now you have my craving honey butter and hot cornbread!

4. Sara says

I’m from Northwestern Pennsylvania. My mom and dad used iron skillets and my sisters and I each got a set when we moved out. Even us Yankee’s know there’s nothing like cooking in cast iron. ;) It makes the best eggs, sausage gravy and even deep dish pizza! My mom always made her cornbread in a baking dish with a sweet brown sugar and butter topping. I didn’t know any other way of making cornbread until I moved to Colorado. I still love the sweet version but my husband isn’t a fan. I’m making chili tonight and was trying to find a recipe for skillet cornbread and came across yours. It looks heavenly! Can’t wait to eat some!!

5. Chuck says

Sounds great, but I suggest forgetting the eggs and sugar, and use white cornmeal. The eggs and sugar make it almost a desert rather than a bread. This is the cornbread my mother and grandmother made and there is nothing better with red beans (with plenty of juice) over the top. Also good crumbled in milk.