Berry season and summertime just go hand in hand, don’t they.
I have so many memories of bare feet, summer days, and dewberry stained fingers and mouths. There were some dewberry bushes out behind one of our houses growing up and my brother Michael and I would spend hours picking dewberries and eating them straight from the bush. Whatever dewberries we didn’t eat we would carry in buckets to the house and my mom would reward us with the most amazing dewberry pies and cobblers.
We don’t have any dewberry bushes, or berry plants of any kind, so my kids don’t know what it is to bite into a berry straight from a bush and have summer and sunshine burst in their mouths – I will remedy this soon.
The other day while buying groceries, I noticed a beautiful blueberry display. Just above the display was a sign saying buy one, get one free. Y’all, I nearly tripped over my own feet getting over to the blueberries, and I might have squealed a little when I saw how gorgeous the blueberries were. Have I mentioned that I love summer and berry season?
I piled 8 pints into my cart and started thinking about all the ways to enjoy these juicy treats. I thought about making Blueberry Muffins with Lemon and Ricotta and the Leafy Green Salad with Savory Dijon Wine Vinaigrette, but I wanted something different and as I walked past the dairy aisle my eyes fell upon the cream cheese and that was it. My mind was made up.
Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins!!! I almost couldn’t get out of the store fast enough. I was so ready to get in the kitchen and get to playing!!! I envisioned rich muffins, chock full of juicy blueberries, with a crisp sugar topping and a surprise cheesecake center.
It took me several batches to them just right, but when I did – oh my word, y’all.
Crispy sugar topping, delicious muffin, juicy blueberries throughout and the rich cheesecake filling…
These rank right up there as one of my top 3 muffin recipes, ever. Seriously, y’all. These are simply delicious.
I knew I had a definite winner when I turned my back for a minute and turned back around just in time to see a little hand trying to sneak a muffin from the plate.
You know you’ve got a winning recipe when your picky eater is trying to steal another sample!
Bakery style blueberry muffins with a surprise cheesecake center.
- 2 C sifted, All Purpose flour
- 3/4 C granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C browned butter Browned Butter Tutorial
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 C blueberries
- Turbinado Sugar for topping
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/3 C granulated white sugar
- Make your browned butter and set aside to cool How to Brown Butter
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F
- Combine the sifted all purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and pinch of salt - whisk together and set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract - process until smooth.
- Add in the eggs and blend another couple minutes, until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the browned butter and milk and mix until combined - do not overmix!!
- Transfer this to your stand mixer (if it's not already there) and slowly add in the dry mix about 1 C at a time, until everything is combined.
- Remove from the mixer and use a wooden spoon to gently fold in the blueberries.
- Whip together the cream cheese and granulated sugar and set aside.
- I suggest using good quality liners in your muffin tin, if not, make sure your tins are well prepped.
- Using a table spoon, place a small spoonful of batter in the bottom of each muffin cup. Place a Tbsp of the cheesecake mix on top of the batter, and then cover that completely with more batter. Top with a Tbsp of turbinado sugar to give it that crunchy bakery style topping, if desired.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes - they will spring back slightly when touched
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tins, then remove to cool completely on a wire rack
If you like this recipe, you should try these other blueberry recipes from around the web:
- Glazed Blueberry Buttermilk Cake Donuts from Buns in My Oven
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bread from Foodie Crush
- Blueberry Cheesecake Creme Brulee from I Wash, You Dry
What’s your favorite part of berry season?