I’m just a bit obsessed with Food Trucks and Street Tacos.
Seriously, if there is a food truck and the possibility of Food Truck Tacos… I am there!!!
While playing around with my California Avocados this past month, and wondering what to make with them – I realized Cinco de Mayo was just around the corner which meant that Street Tacos were the obvious answer!
The flank steak is tenderized and then marinated in a combination of Shiner Bock and Spices – cooked to perfection (which for us means Medium Rare), nestled in between a charred corn tortilla and finished off with smoky, tangy, cool, crisp Chipotle Avocado Slaw.
These are melt in your mouth good, eat 6 or 7 of them delicious.
The Shiner Marinated Steak just melts in your mouth, the charred corn tortilla is a tad smoky, and the perfect combination of crisp and soft (croft? scrisp?), and the ultimate final touch… the crunchy, slightly smoky, tangy avocado slaw.
These street tacos are about 3 or 4 bites each, so you can eat several – they would make a great appetizer, or side to go along with all your other Cinco de Mayo or summer fiesta eats! I think they’re going to rank right up there with my Spicy Grilled Shrimp Quesadillas!
- 1.5 lbs Flank Steak
- 2 (12 oz bottles) Shiner Bock
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 Cups of Coleslaw mix
- 1 Large or 2 Small California Avocados, Grilled
- ¾ C Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice (fresh)
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 - 2 whole chipotles in adobo sauce (depends on your heat tolerance)
- pinch of kosher salt
- ⅔ C cilantro leaves
- Tenderize the flank steak with a meat mallet
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large zip-tight baggie and refrigerate for 12 - 24 hours
- Grill two avocados >> grilling avocado instructions
- Set the grilled avocados aside to cool and combine the greek yogurt, lime juice, white wine vinegar, chipotles, salt and cilantro leaves into a food processor; add the avocados and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Grill your steak over medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked to your liking, we prefer ours medium-rare (Rare - 130-135°F Med-Rare - 140°F Medium - 155°F Medium Well - 160°F Well Done - 165°F)
- Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Combine the avocado sauce and the coleslaw mix - 2 Cups of Slaw to ⅔ C Avocado Cream Sauce
- While the steak is resting, heat the corn tortillas over your grill
- Slice the steak across the grain, about ¼ to ½" thick
- Place the steak in the tortillas and top with chipotle avocado slaw
This is also delicious with the steak atop the slaw without the tortillas
Disclosure: This recipe was created and inspired by my partnership with the California Avocado Commission. I’m honored to be a compensated 2014 brand ambassador for CAC. All opinions expressed are my own. For more great recipes visit the California Avocado Commission website and follow them on Facebook and Twitter.