Perhaps I should have called this slightly tipsy, just a little bit adult cranberry avocado pumpkin bread?
C’est la vie.
For the past year or so I’ve been playing around with different pumpkin bread recipes, because I adore the rich, creamy, subtle flavor that pumpkin adds to bread, and because Fall, y’all. I have come up with one absolutely killer pumpkin bread recipe that has a delightful kick to it, and I can’t wait to share it with y’all!!! recipe coming soon!
While I was playing around with some other variations on pumpkin bread, it dawned on me that September’s California Avocado recipe challenge was baking. Baking!?! With Avocado?
What the what?!
Yep, you can bake with avocado. I replaced 2 of the 4 eggs in this pumpkin bread with ripe, mashed avocado, and I didn’t tell any of my taste testers what I was doing. I felt like one of those cheesy taste teste commercials where some guy in a white coat whispers sotto voce to the camera:
“We’ve secretly replaced the eggs in this bread with mashed avocados, let’s tune in to see what happens next….”
If this were one of those silly commercials the cameras would have zoomed in on the taste testers gobbling down the pumpkin bread, picking cranberries off the tray, amidst sighs of delight just prior to aforementioned guy in white coat bursting in with camera and microphone to break the shocking news!
My life isn’t a cheesy commercial, but it was fun to break the news that there was avocado in the bread, because not one single person believed me!
You can go ahead and envision me blowing on my nails and buffing them cockily on my shirt front, because yeah.. NAILED IT!
Easy, Simple, Delicious Cranberry Pumpkin Bread with the secret ingredient of AVOCADOS!
OH!! Did I mention the rum soaked dried cranberries?
I soaked the dried cranberries in dark rum before folding them into the batter. It adds just a hint of something extra.. that.. “mmmmmmm what is that? It’s incredible, I just can’t put my finger on it…” flavor.
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (I prefer roasted cinnamon)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg (about 1 whole nutmeg)
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 Cups granulated white sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Large Eggs
- ¼ Cup mashed, ripe avocado
- 1 Cup vegetable oil
- Zest of 1 small orange
- ½ Cup orange juice
- 1¼ Cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ Cup dark rum
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Prepare two 9X5 inch loaf pans with baking spray or line them with parchment paper (I prefer the parchment paper method - the bread lifts right out)
- Mash the avocado until it's smooth
- Pour the rum into a bowl and add the cranberries to soak.
- In a large bowl, combine: flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine: sugar, pumpkin, eggs, mashed avocado, vegetable oil, orange zest, and orange juice; beat until blended.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture; stir until blended.
- Gently fold in the cranberries.
- Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour - Check at 50 minutes. Bread is ready when a toothpick or dry spaghetti strand comes out with crumbs, but no batter. Cool in pans for 5 - 10 minutes. Remove from pans and place on cooling racks to cool completely.
This recipe was created for and inspired by my partnership with the California Avocado Commission. I’m honored to be a compensated brand Ambassador for California Avocados for the 2nd year in a row. All opinions and ideas expressed are my own. You can visit the California Avocado Commission website for more tips, tricks, and avocado recipes.0