These dirty rice stuffed peppers are one of my favorite weeknight meals.
I adore Bell Peppers. Red, Green, Yellow, it’s like a confetti of crisp, fresh delicious veggie yumminess. Pair that with some Zatarains Dirty Rice and Hello Dolly!
These peppers are a favorite meal around here. They’re quick, filling, and easy to make.
- 1.5 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 box Zatarains Dirty Rice Mix
- 2 1/2 C. Water
- 2 medium sized bell peppers
- 4 slices, Swiss, Muenster or Mozzarella
- 1 Tablespoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tablespoons Salt/Pepper/Garlic Salt Blend, 1/3 each
- If you're feeling froggy... saute some onion, garlic and celery in butter and add it to the browned ground beef.
- Set oven to broil. Cut each pepper in half and remove seeds and extra skin. Drizzle the peppers with olive oil.
- Season Ground Beef with Crushed Red Pepper and SPGS blend. Brown and Drain.
- Cook with Zatarains according to Box Directions, omitting the oil.
- While the rice/meat mix is cooking, broil the peppers until the smell starts to make you salivate the skin begins to crackle and blister. Remove from the oven and cover to retain heat.
- When the ‘Dirty’ mix is finished, scoop it into the hollowed out peppers and top with the slice of cheese of your choosing or not, whatever.
- Cook at 360 F just long enough to melt and bubble the cheese.
- Serve with cornbread or crackers.
We generally eat this with Saltines or Cornbread. If Bell Peppers are just insanely expensive, as they seem to be on a regular basis now, just make the Dirty Mix and serve it with Saltines and Sliced Sharp Cheddar. It is a delightful dinner experience that is savory, homey and fabulous. Nathan can devour 2 platefuls of this with crackers, cheese and Sweet Tea. This dish is a blend of delightful favors, fresh, crisp, spicy, savory and YUM! For a fresh twist, serve thinly sliced Granny Smith Apples on the side. Your taste buds will be thanking you.