Today’s Mouthwatering Monday recipe comes directly from my mom, Bebe. It’s her Broccoli Cheese Casserole and it’s quick, easy and totally tonguegasmic y’all.
Thanks for the recipe Mom 😉
Bebe’s Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3 sm packages chopped frozen broccoli
- 2 C condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 roll of garlic cheese (they are not making this anymore so Bebe substituted 9 oz of Kraft Easy Cheese Roasted Garlic Cheddar flavor)
- 1 tsp season salt
- 1 small can/jar sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 C chopped, sliced or slivered almonds (Bebe uses slivered)
- 1/2 C bread crumbs
- Saute onion in butter until translucent tender, add broccoli and cook until tender.
- Transfer to a 3 qt casserole dish and mix in the remaining ingredients: soup, cheese, season salt and 1/4 C almonds.
- Sprinkle remaining almonds and bread crumbs on top.
- Bake at 300 F until, bubbling.
This is absolutely delicious y’all. I was really skeptical about the whole spray cheese in a can thing, but I can’t tell a difference from the cheese log she used while I was growing up.
If you want to add a little heat *wink, wink* then substitute 9 oz of the Velveeta PepperJack pasteurized cheese and add in a 1/2 tsp or so of garlic powder to taste.
** Bebe wanted me to add that one of the reasons she loves this so much is because you can make it days, even weeks ahead of time, cover it with foil and freeze it. Just make sure you take it out a couple of days ahead of time so it can thaw.
Remember every Monday is Tonguegasmic over here. Post your recipe, grab a button and sign Mr. Linky. Remember to link directly to your Mouthwatering Monday post, not just to your blog. That way when others want to come find your recipe, they’re linked directly to it.
Thanks for playing and happy eating y’all!