This potato casserole was a last minute creation and switch from the original potato dish. What happened you ask? I received two amazing things in the mail.
Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese in Spinach and Artichoke flavor (oh my holy tonguegasmic delight on triscuits, that’s all I’m sayin’) and their Sundried Tomato & Basil flavor.
The sundried tomato and basil got me thinking about mashed potatoes and how good that would be but, I didn’t think mashed potatoes would be quite up to the task of our Ham and Deep Fried Turkey and Southern Green Beans cooked all day with bacon, garlic and onions… so I came up with this Potato Casserole and it might have been THE most popular thing on the table.
Potato Casserole with SunDried Tomato and Basil Cream Cheese
(This made enough for a 10X13 casserole dish)
- 4 lbs red potatoes
- 2 C green onions, chopped
- 3/4 C SunDried Tomato & Basil Cream Cheese, divided (1/4 C and 1/2 C)
- 2 1/2 C Light Sour Cream
- 2 C Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 3 to 4 C Lay’s Potato Chips, crushed
- 2 Tbsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, divided and cut into chunks
- Boil the potatoes until tender, drain and set aside. Cut into chunks when cool enough to work with.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 1/2 stick of butter and 1/4 C SunDried Tomato & Basil Cream Cheese, add in green onions and stir fry briefly.
- In a large bowl combine chopped potatoes and all other ingredients, except potato chips.
- Mix well.
- Spread into a 10X13 glass baking dish, top with crushed potato chips. Cover with tinfoil and cook at 350 for 20 minutes, remove tinfoil and cook another 5 to 10 minutes until the chips begin to ‘golden’ up.
- Serve immediately.*
*if you want to re-heat this in the microwave, scoop the chips off, heat and then top with more chips.
** Carissa said “That’s a LOT of pepper”; she’s right. But, with the cream cheese, butter and sour cream, it can stand that much pepper. If you’re a bit squeamish to add that much pepper, just do 1 Tbsp and the you can add more after cooking.
If you’re adding your recipe to the Mouthwatering Mondays link love please sign Mr. Linky with your recipe URL, grab your tonguegasmic MWM button, link back here in your post and then visit the other participants to get more delicious recipes and meet other food lovers like yourself! Thanks for participating!!!
Donate to Help Heather and Mike, Maddie’s Funeral is tomrrow and no parent should have to do that alone. Please help Heather and Mike
Email to use on paypal: