(Lotus Says: “I found this recipe in a mag years ago and tweaked it”)
Super healthy foods: olive oil, olives, salmon, tomatoes (cancer fighting lycopene!)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 cloves pressed garlic (adjust if you don’t like garlic as much – I love it!)
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tbsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 shallot bulb peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup pitted, halved kalamata olives
- 2 salmon fillets
- Preheat oven to 425
- Combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, organo, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper in a small bowl, mixing well. Make sure to really blend it all together.
- Add cherry tomatoes, shallots, and kalamata olives and mix well.
- Place salmon fillets into a baking dish. Spread the mixture onto the fillets, coating salmon completely.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Serve with the mixture still on top of the fillets. So good!
Pumpkin Tomato Chili
(Lotus Says: “this one I pulled straight out of oxygen mag years ago. super yummy cool weather food!”)
Kidney beans: phytochemicals
All are cancer butt-kickers!
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 lb extra-lean, ground turkey breast
- 1 lg onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 1/2 cups no-sodium tomato juice
- 2 (14 1/2 oz) cans no-salt, peeled and diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp sugar-free maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Add olive oil to a large pot and cook the ground turkey breast on high heat until brown. Stir meat to cook evenly, then separate.
- Stir in onion and red pepper and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in beans, tomato juice, diced tomatoes, pumpkin puree and maple syrup.
- Season with pumpkin pie spice, chili powder, and nutmeg.
- Simmer for 1 hour and serve.
It’s great with cornbread or crusty bread. Tasty and a fun change from traditional chilis
Lotus writes the brilliant, funny, photo filled gorgeous wonderful blog Sarcastic Mom and I am so blessed to count her as a friend. Lotus, thank you so much for sharing these wonderful recipes with us!