This recipe took me by surprise.
I don’t drink chocolate milk.
I don’t enjoy chocolate milk.
I don’t like white chocolate. at. all.
Dark chocolate or go home.
For the past 3 years I’ve seen tons of homemade hot chocolate mix recipes floating around the internet and they’ve always piqued my interest but, they’ve never tempted me enough that I’ve actually wanted to make my own.
I stumbled across this one that used the words ‘thick and creamy and super chocolatey‘ right there, she had me, she told me that this hot chocolate wasn’t like the traditional thin, watery, hot chocolate milk that most of us are used to.
This was going to be a rich, decadent, tonguegasmic treat
Something that you don’t just drink, you savor.
Hot chocolate is not something that’s consumed frequently down here.
However, last week — the temperatures finally dipped below the 60 F mark
They dipped into the frigid
holy hail this is cold range
That kind of cold means that even Diet Dr Pepper must take a back seat and since I don’t drink coffee (eeeeeeewwwwwww) hot chocolate it must be.
I won’t do packets, especially packets that ask you to mix with water — SERIOUSLY. just STOP.
So, I pulled her recipe back up.. made a change or two to adapt for my dark chocolate lovin’ soul and —-
oh. mah. holy. hell.
Homemade Dark Cocoa Mix
also known as
hot, rich, warm tonguegasmic chocolate beverage
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 3 Cups non-fat dry milk
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Cups white chocolate chips, or chopped white chocolate
- 1/2 Cup dark chocolate chips, or chopped dark chocolate
- Use a spoon to spoon the powdered sugar into a measuring cup, no need to pack it down
- Mix the powdered sugar, dry milk, cinnamon, salt, and dark cocoa together
- Add in the white and dark chocolate chips
- In 1 Cup increments, add this mixture to a food processor, powerful blender etc.. and pulse until it's thoroughly mixed and the chocolate/white chocolate chips are dispersed and chopped throughout
- To serve: add 1/4 Cup mix to 1 Cup heated milk, whisk until combined and rich, creamy, hot chocolate nirvana is achieved
Serve with a candy cane stirrer and marshmallows for an added bit of fun
Give this as a holiday gift in a cute jar tied with a bow and candy canes attached