But come on y’all, how could I resists that title? I mean really y’all , I resisted adding Con Cebolla… so really, I deserve some slack 😉
This is such an easy and fun twist on the traditional cheesy chicken and rice (aka arroz con pollo) with such an amazing flavor profile that I just had to name it
Arroz Con Pollo Con Queso Con Ro*Tel®
The inspiration for this month’s VELVEETA® and Ro*Tel® recipe was the delicious combination of VELVEETA® Mexican Cheese and Ro*Tel® Mexican with Lime and Cilantro
After spending a wonderful, if somewhat exhausting Christmas with sick family, coming home to a ton of laundry, crazy weather and broken fences… I was in the mood for something simple, delicious and most of all comforting.
I don’t know anyone who didn’t grow up eating chicken and rice, it’s one of those ultimate comfort foods. This is chicken and rice taken to the next level — still simple, still delicious, just a bit more Southern, a bit zingier and a bit more grown up.
Arroz Con Pollo Con Queso Con Ro*Tel®Print Recipe
- 1 Tbsp butter or Olive oil
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium yellow onion diced ( 1 1/4 C to 1 1/2 C yield)
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 10 oz can Ro*Tel® Mexican Lime & Cilantro
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 1/2 C uncooked instant rice
- 8 oz VELVEETA® Mexican cubed
- Prep the chicken and veggies
- In a large skillet/saute' pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Cook the onion in the melted butter for about 5 minutes, or until the onion begins to soften
- Add the garlic and saute' for about 3 minutes
- Drain juice from Ro*Tel® and set the juice aside
- Add the chopped chicken and Ro*Tel® to the onion/garlic mixture, cover and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 C chicken broth to the drained juice from the Ro*Tel® .
- To the cooked chicken, add the broth/juice mixture and bring to a rolling boil.
- Lower the heat, add the uncooked rice and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the cubed VELVEETA®, cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir the mixture, and serve topped with fresh chopped cilantro