I’m not teasing.
The title is not misleading.
I am about to share a recipe with y’all that combines all the best of a Loaded Baked Potato with the homey, delicious comfort of a grilled cheese sandwich
When I say thatI’m about to bestow a gift upon y’all, I’m not even remotely kidding.
I have been converted.
I was not a believer.
She changed me. She made me see the light. The ooey – gooey – carby- zingy – comforting – tonguegasmic light
Before now, there’s no reality in which I would have envisioned sour cream being included in a grilled cheese sandwich – and I’ve covered the National Grilled Cheese Invitational which had everything from truffle oil – bacon grease – peeps – pound cake – jalapenos – banana bread and more.
I have a new favorite grilled cheese.
A grilled cheese that has flavors I would never have thought to combine.
Sour Cream – Green Onions – Bacon – Potato Bread – Sharp Cheddar and Sour Cream
I have to admit, while searching for a grilled cheese recipe for this month’s CCC, I was overwhelmed and frustrated.
I wanted something POW. BOOM. TONGUEGASMIC.
I more than found it in this Loaded Baked Potato Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe from Galley Kitchen.
The first time that I made it, I was more than skeptical – I almost skipped the potato bread and went with the Texas Toast that was already in my kitchen. (Thank the kitchen gods that I didn’t)
This sandwich is unbelievable.
It will capture you, wrap you up, hold you in its warm, gooey, comforting, deliciously tonguegasmic embrace and never let you go.
Take a moment and just embrace the idea of the miraculous ingredients that make up this tonguegasmic delight.
Smoky, salty bacon, cool creamy sour cream, zingy fresh green onions, rich, flavor packed sharp cheddar cheese surrounded by perfectly golden buttery toasted potato bread. Please, for the love of all things holy, do not forget the potato bread. Do NOT skimp on these simple ingredients.
If your family is lucky and you’re making bacon for breakfast, bake the bacon in the oven so it is crisp and delicious – set aside 2 slices for each sandwich.
Lay out 2 slices of potato bread and lightly spread each slice with sour cream, top each slice with a slice of good sharp cheddar cheese.
Snap the bacon slices in half and lay them on top of one cheese and sour cream covered slice of potato bread, sprinkle the other half with chopped green onions. (bacon slice covered halves not shown)
Press the two deliciously decorated slices together and then spread butter onto the outside of the sandwich.
Lay on a hot sizzling griddle and cook until golden, toasty brown and the insides are sizzling, melty and oh my holy hell you just can’t resist any longer.
There is a golden rule to perfect grilled cheese sandwiches.
You MUST set them aside and let them rest for a few minutes before cutting or eating, if you cut them too soon, they’re just a giant mess.
This sandwich is worth waiting for, but don’t torture yourself by waiting to long. Go ahead, print this out and go to the store. Make these today, and tomorrow, and next week. Trust me, once you make these – you’ll make them again.
I can’t believe that a sandwich can taste like a piping hot loaded baked potato, but it can, and it’s so worth the 20 minutes… trust me.
Loaded Baked Potato Grilled Cheese SandwichPrint Recipe
- Original Recipe
- 4 slices country potato bread
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 1-2 TBSP chopped green onions
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Pre-heat a griddle or flat iron skillet to 350°F
- Lay out 4 slices of potato bread
- Spread a thin layer of sour cream onto each slice of potato bread
- Top each slice of potato bread with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese
- Place bacon onto two of the slices of bread (one half of each sandwich)
- Sprinkle each slice of potato bread with chopped green onions
- Put the sandwiches together
- Spread butter onto the outsides of both sandwiches
- Place on the griddle (hot surface) and cook until toasty and golden brown and the insides are sizzling, melting, gooey and you can barely wait to dive in.
- remove the sandwiches from the hot griddle and set on a vented surface (cookie cooling rack etc) for a few minutes
- Pause for a moment of silence and reverence for the life changing event you have just encountered.