This One Pan Chicken and Rice Bake is one of the most comforting foods in my comfort-food-kitchen arsenal.
It’s savory and crunchy and tender and delicious and easy and yummy.
This recipe came from my Granny’s recipe box.
I really wish that I could find her handwritten recipe card so I could add it to this post…
No Peek Chicken – as she called it – is simple and absolutely perfect for back to school or any time when you’re just too busy to stir, mix, cook, check, simmer, chop, etc…
In case y’all needed another reason to try it…
This recipe is 100% 5 year old Monkey approved
He has actually requested this in his brand spankin’ new planet lunch box for his first day of KINDERGARTEN!!!
a moment of silence, please.
MY BABY STARTED KINDER TODAY!!!!!!!!!
(and as a result was in bed passed out by 7:30 PM — can I get an Amen?)
Seriously, y’all… this recipe is comfort, and yumminess and wonderful smells and tastes and textures all wrapped up in one 9X13 baking dish.
I can’t believe we’re starting another school year; didn’t summer just start?
Didn’t we just rev up the pontoon boat and break out the bathing suits?
How is it school time already?
Back on track.
Your family probably has some form of this recipe, it’s been called: “No Peek Chicken” – “No Touch Chicken – “Leave it Alone Chicken and Rice”
Every Southern Family (hey Northern Families – do y’all have a version of this, too?) has some form of this recipe in their arsenal… it’s quick, easy, delicious and makes your house smell like a little slice of heaven.
The first day of school is one of my favorite days of the year, and I tend to get so wrapped up in preparations and excitement that I lose track…
- 5 - 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 7 oz boxes Long Grain Wild Rice Mix (Zatarains, Uncle Bens, Rice a Roni etc... look for low sodium, if you can)
- 1 10-ish oz can Cream of Celery Soup
- 1 10-ish oz can Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic Soup
- 1 1/4 soup can of water
- 1 box, 2 envelopes Onion Soup Mix
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- In a 9X13 pan, mix together rice mix, soups and water
- Top this mixture with the chicken
- Top the chicken with the onion soup mix
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil
- Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes or so
- Serve with veggies or salad and enjoy!
DO NOT PEEK!
DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!
DO NOT REMOVE THE FOIL.
Leave the chicken and rice alone for the 1 hour and 45 minutes!
Nathan likes this with saltines, salad, and sliced cheese. Monkey likes this in his thermos for lunch, with cheese and apples. Princess likes the chicken, but not the rice.... oh well, you can't win them all.