Chipotles in Adobo Sauce are one of my very favorite kitchen staples – smoky, sweet, subtle slow heat… what’s not to love?
Add in some honey to balance the slow burn from the chipotles and it’s one of my very favorite flavor combinations.
With Labor day coming up and barbecue grills across the country firing up in celebration… I knew this was the perfect time to share with y’all one of my very favorite and quite honestly – easiest- grilled chicken recipes.
Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken
I believe grilled chicken should be juicy and tender – I think we can all agree on that point – however, I also believe that it should be lovingly brushed with a ridiculously delicious and savory, sticky sauce as soon as it’s pulled off the grill.
I am firmly in the finger licking camp when it comes to grilled chicken.
Who’s with me? Let’s see a show of hands… er… um… comments?
Traditionally, when we grill chicken, we grill drumsticks or thighs or leg quarters… however I love grilled chicken breasts, they’re phenomenal the first night and sliced up cold over salads or in wraps the next day…. oh yes!
For this recipe, I recommend chicken breasts, unless you plan on having NO leftovers – then chicken wings, thighs, leg quarters, drumsticks… y’all go crazy and pick your favorite
I’m sure y’all are planning some major grilling events this weekend.
It’s a 3 day weekend, after all, which is just one more day for grilling and friends and family…
If you want something easy, delicious and totally finger licking good – I urge y’all to try this Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken.
You don’t need much – just honey, chipotles in adobo sauce and some chicken to grill…
Once you’ve realized how utterly perfect the marriage of chipotles and honey is…
I’d like to suggest to y’all that once you grill your chicken and get ready to serve it, that you pair it with Nathan’s favorite beans.
Bush’s Grillin’ Beans Southern Pit Barbecue are about as close to homemade smoked beans as you can get, without hours of work and a whole lot of talent.
The sweet smokiness of these beans pair perfectly with the spicy-sweet-smoky-heat juicy Honey Chipotle grilled chicken.
Okay – I’ve teased and tempted y’all enough.
Here’s the recipe for my Honey Chipotle Grilled Chicken
I cannot tell y’all enough how much y’all need to make this – if you’re heat sensitive, cut the amount of chipotles in half
(but really – don’t because this isn’t spicy)
but y’all are going to do what you want, aren’t ya?
I have a compensated partnership with Bush’s Grillin’ Beans. While this post is part of that compensated partnership, the excitement over this relationship and recipe is 100% real and unsponsored
- 1 small can chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 C honey
- 5 to 6 chicken breasts
- optional fresh green onions, chopped
- In a Ninja, blender, food processor, bowl... blend together one can of chipotles in adobo sauce and the honey.
- Pour half of this mixture over the chicken breasts in a zip lock baggie
- Smoosh and squeeze the chicken and honey chipotle sauce until fully covered
- Place in a refrigerator and marinate for several hours
- Grill the chicken over medium coals or on the low side of a high/low gas grill until thoroughly cooked. I do not ever cook chicken without a thermometer nearby - I suggest y'all don't either
- Once the chicken is moments from being removed from the grill - brush with the set aside honey chipotle mixture
- Let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes - brush with the honey chipotle mixture, again
- Just prior to serving, top with fresh chopped green onions
** If you are sensitive to heat - start with 1/2 Can of Chipotles, or even just a few chipotles** This is a smoky hot dish 😉 we like it that way, but I don't want you to sear your tastebuds!