Feta Olive Cheese Straws~ Tickled Red
Hello, y’all I’m Shari known to some as Red and I am thoroughly honored to be rounding out Rachel’s month of amazing Handmade Holiday treats. I write over at Tickled Red about my impromptu surf life with my three guys. We are always up to something be it globetrotting, gardening or stretching our DIY imaginations. We love to eat healthy but I tend to bake outside the box, especially since the holiday season is officially in swing with our annual Bake Friday now under our belt.
Bake Friday is a tradition the boys and I celebrate in order to kick off the holidays in comfort, spending all day in our pj’s as sweet and savory aromas swim happily through the house. It also helps us get a jump on our holiday gift giving, homemade style. My sweet buddy Rachel of A Southern Fairytale totally gets the “make it” holiday spirit! So much so in fact, she has been celebrating her 4th year of Homemade Holidays all month long.
If you happen to enjoy making homemade gifts for the holidays you’re going to love our savory contribution to Rachel’s round up of tasty treats!
One of our favorite gifts to bake would be a southern holiday staple, cheese straws. If you’ve never made cheese straws you’re missing out. You don’t need many ingredients and the dough is super easy to handle.
Not to mention they bake up golden and crispy! You may have noticed though that our cheese straws aren’t quite what you remember.
Nope these little beauties are a twist on an old favorite infused with some Mediterranean flavors and coastal love all because I was too lazy to get out of said pj’s and go to the grocery store for cheddar cheese.
Fortunately we are never in short supply of feta cheese or olives, and today I’m more thankful than ever for being a creature of habit. Trust me once you try these savory crispy straws you’ll love that I’m a sloth as well. These lovelies won’t last long with chunks of salty feta and olives perfumed with basil.
Side note, it’s a wonder any olives made it into the dough at all. Allow me to introduce the biggest olive addict I have ever met. EVER!
Rachel’s fabulous Handmade Holidays Giveaway…Ends tonight! So hurry and enter below before it’s too late. While you’re at it be sure to check out all of the other great homemade gift ideas that everyone shared.
Happy Holidays my friends!
Thank you, Shari! Love having a fellow redhead and southern food lover rounding out this year’s Handmade Holidays! Wow y’all! I can’t believe Handmade Holidays is over!!!!!!!!!!!! You can see ALL the delicious recipes from this year’s Handmade Holidays and past ones by clicking on Handmade Holidays or going up to the recipe index.
- 10 ounces tomato basil feta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/4 C chopped black olives
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse the first 5 ingredients in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, and process for approx. 10 seconds or until the dough forms a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface; divide the dough in half. Roll each half into a 12- x 8-inch rectangle, approx. 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into 3/4-inch-wide strips using a sharp knife or fluted pastry wheel. Place the dough strips on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake approx. 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges are well browned. Remove the cheese straws and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
Tip: Coat your rolling pin in flour as well as dip your knife in flour after each cut to ensure clean cuts