I’m just a bit obsessed with Food Trucks and Street Tacos.
Seriously, if there is a food truck and the possibility of Food Truck Tacos… I am there!!!
While playing around with my California Avocados this past month, and wondering what to make with them – I realized Cinco de Mayo was just around the corner which meant that Street Tacos were the obvious answer!
The flank steak is tenderized and then marinated in a combination of Shiner Bock and Spices – cooked to perfection (which for us means Medium Rare), nestled in between a charred corn tortilla and finished off with smoky, tangy, cool, crisp Chipotle Avocado Slaw.
These are melt in your mouth good, eat 6 or 7 of them delicious.
The Shiner Marinated Steak just melts in your mouth, the charred corn tortilla is a tad smoky, and the perfect combination of crisp and soft (croft? scrisp?), and the ultimate final touch… the crunchy, slightly smoky, tangy avocado slaw.
These street tacos are about 3 or 4 bites each, so you can eat several – they would make a great appetizer, or side to go along with all your other Cinco de Mayo or summer fiesta eats! I think they’re going to rank right up there with my Spicy Grilled Shrimp Quesadillas!
Disclosure: This recipe was created and inspired by my partnership with the California Avocado Commission. I’m honored to be a compensated 2014 brand ambassador for CAC. All opinions expressed are my own. For more great recipes visit the California Avocado Commission website and follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
Food Truck Style Street Tacos with Chipotle Avocado Slaw
- 1.5 lbs Flank Steak
- 2 12 oz bottles Shiner Bock
- 4 cloves of garlic smashed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
Smoky Avocado Chipotle Sauce
- 2 Cups of Coleslaw mix
- 1 Large or 2 Small California Avocados Grilled
- 3/4 C Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice fresh
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 - 2 whole chipotles in adobo sauce depends on your heat tolerance
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2/3 C cilantro leaves
- Tenderize the flank steak with a meat mallet
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large zip-tight baggie and refrigerate for 12 - 24 hours
Chipotle Avocado Cream Sauce
- Grill two avocados >> grilling avocado instructions
- Set the grilled avocados aside to cool and combine the greek yogurt, lime juice, white wine vinegar, chipotles, salt and cilantro leaves into a food processor; add the avocados and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Grill your steak over medium-high heat until thoroughly cooked to your liking, we prefer ours medium-rare (Rare - 130-135°F Med-Rare - 140°F Medium - 155°F Medium Well - 160°F Well Done - 165°F)
- Allow the steak to rest for 5 minutes before slicing
- Combine the avocado sauce and the coleslaw mix - 2 Cups of Slaw to 2/3 C Avocado Cream Sauce
- While the steak is resting, heat the corn tortillas over your grill
- Slice the steak across the grain, about 1/4 to 1/2" thick
- Place the steak in the tortillas and top with chipotle avocado slaw
This is also delicious with the steak atop the slaw without the tortillas