Do you remember Dirt Cakes?
Chocolate cake and pudding topped with crushed chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs and candy worms? Both shudder worthy and totally delicious.
What kid doesn’t love pretending to eat worms and dirt?
Last month, Rice Krispies® contacted me and asked if I’d be interested in partnering with them for a spring project. Seeing that Rice Krispies® Treats are pretty much one of my favorite desserts of all time, you’re correct in assuming that it took me about 6 seconds to say yes.
They asked me to get with my kids and browse their Spring themed Pinterest Board and pick a treat to recreate. The kids and I had fun checking out the yummy and creative treats, but it was a no brainer/unanimous vote… The Earth Worm Delights were the hands down winner. Cocoa Rice Krispies®, marshmallows, chocolate cookies and gummy worms! Sign us up!
The kids couldn’t wait to get started – they love when we cook together
This recipe is so easy that I let the kids take the lead, I was just hanging out with my camera and a few words of encouragement.
Watching the kids working together in the kitchen brings me such joy. Watching their personalities mix and match, click and clash, and watching them overcome personality differences, and problem solving together…. it’s pretty spectacular.
Each kid has their own kitchen style, their own flair, and I think that showed most clearly while they were topping the cocoa Rice Krispies® treats with the crushed cookies and the sour gummy worms. Princess evenly sprinkled cookie crumbs across the cake, while Monkey was a bit more haphazard with his coverage. Princess created a little hole and tucked part of the worm into the ‘cake’ so that the worms were partially buried, as if they were coming up from the dirt. Monkey just tossed them on and pushed them down.
Click the recipe title to see the original Rice Krispies® Earth Worms Delight Recipe
The kids and I adapted it a bit to suit our tastebuds – which basically means more butter, more marshmallows, more cookies, and sour gummies
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 package, 10 oz., about 40 JET-PUFFED Marshmallows
- 7 cups Cocoa Rice Krispies®
- 1 package, 5.5 oz Neon Sour gummy worms
- 12 to 15 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed and crumbled (we liked having some bigger chunks of cookie mixed in)
- Crush the cookies and set aside
- Butter a 9X13 baking dish and set aside
- Melt the butter in a large pot over low heat
- Once the butter is melted, add the vanilla extract and marshmallows, stir continuously and cook until the marshmallows are melted
- Once the marshmallows are melted, turn off the heat and pour in the Cocoa Rice Krispies® and stir until completely blended.
- Using a buttered wooden spoon or spatula, spread the mixture into the buttered 9X13 baking dish and press to even out.
- Top the mixture with your cookie crumbs, pressing down on them a bit so they stick to the marshmallow mixture.
- Use your imagination and creativity to add the gummy worms.
- Let cool completely and then slice and serve!
Do you have a favorite Rice Krispies® treats recipe? How do you get creative with yours? Share yours on twitter and pinterest using the #easytomake hashtag.
I received compensation and product as part of my participation in this program. The joy and fun and recipe recreation are 100% authentic, my own, and real.