Today is my 37th birthday, and I am beyond grateful that I’ve reached this milestone.
In honor of my 37th birthday, and with the humbling knowledge that I am beyond blessed to have reached this milestone – I wanted to share 37 things. If you don’t want to read my 37 things, I ask you to scroll down and click on the link that will lead you to the story of a mom who will never celebrate another birthday with her family.
1. My favorite color is purple
2. The song that brings me to my knees is Amazing Grace played on bagpipes
3. My Granny was my best friend and the one who nurtured my love of cooking
4. When I was 16 I dreamed of naming my daughter Taryn – that’s not my daughter’s name
5. I once played the french horn
6. I was a gymnast
7. My plan was to get married at 30 (hint… I was much younger, go ahead and make plans, y’all)
8. My dream as a child was to be a teacher or a stay at home mom
9. I once confused baking soda with baking powder and made hockey pucks instead of muffins
10. I love being on stage and speaking in front of huge crowds
11. Speaking in front of small groups is scary
12. Nathan and I met when I was 19
13. We’ve never had a professional family photo
14. It took me 35 years to become comfortable and confident with myself (ps. purple hair)
15. I’m still not completely confident and comfortable with myself, but I NEVER disparage myself in front of my kids, and I never use the F (fat) word in front of them.
16. food is one of my love languages
17. Feeding others makes me happy
18. I want to get a cute little nose piercing (edited to add: DID IT!)
19. Being a self taught photographer is exhilarating
20. Spicy foods are my favorite
21. I can eat mexican food every single day
22. I judge restaurants on their salsa and guac
23. I am firmly on team dark chocolate
24. I am terrified every single day that I won’t be enough
25. I want my kids to succeed, and fail, and learn from all their failures
26. Being a parent is scary and awesome
27. I was raised Methodist when I was with my parents and Baptist when I was with my Granny
28. My dad told me; ” listen to your first reaction, but don’t react on it” It’s been some of the best advice of my life
29. My favorite cake is Italian Cream Cake or German Chocolate — don’t you dare ask me to choose
30. Tillamook Cinnamon Horchata rivals Blue Bell
31. I remember watching The Breakfast Club and thinking how old they were…. yeah
32. Listen to your parents, no really. They’re far wiser than you know, and every thing you roll your eyes at… 20 years from now, you’ll be emphasizing.
33. Nathan and I met in a bar
34. I can touch my nose with my tongue
35. Medium Rare Steak is one of my favorite foods
36. I wanted to be on Broadway after seeing Les Miserables, Phantom and Miss Saigon on Broadway when I was a teenager
37. I am still learning, changing, growing, and becoming more me… every single day.
I remember thinking that 30-something was positively ancient. Today, I feel 21, and I realize that I’m still learning. I’ve come so far and I’ve learned so much; and I realize how much more I have to learn, how much more I have to grow, how much more life I have to live.
We’ve had so much loss in our family, and one of Princess’ friend’s mom just passed away – which means that some of my closest friends just lost one of their dearest friends. I had the honor of photographing the Keesler family and friends this past 4th of July and watching Kristi’s friends and family interact with her… I knew without a doubt that I was in the presence of God. It would mean the world to this family if you’d skip your next coffee, diet soda, fast food lunch,pizza, takeout, delivery, or drive through, and instead donate that amount to the Kristi Keesler fund that will help to provide gifts given to her children in her name throughout their lives.