Today is National Chocolate Day, and today’s chocolate cobbler recipe is dedicated to Joan Hayes of Chocolate, Chocolate and More.
This past week, Joan, one of the most generous, kind, talented, loving members of our food blogging community passed away. She leaves behind 3 children, hundreds of friends, and a legacy of kindness, laughter, and chocolate.
Today, the food blogging community is posting chocolate recipes in honor of Joan, and using the hashtag #chocolateforjoan it’s our way of remembering her, sharing her, and honoring her.
When I started thinking about what recipe I was going to post today, the only thing that I could think, was that it needed to be the chocolate-iest thing I could possibly come up with.
Well… Chocolate Cobbler it is, y’all. It’s A Chocolate Cake Top Layer with a Gooey-fudgy-melty-rich chocolate pudding bottom layer. Chocolate Cobbler recipes have been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. Hundreds of southern lady church cookbooks have a chocolate cobbler, chocolate mud cake, chocolate pudding cake recipe in them; and every family has their favorite.
Joan died in her sleep from a massive heart attack after complaining of an upset stomach before going to bed. That’s just one of the hidden danger signs that you should know about. Please, be aware, educate yourself, and take care of you and yours <3
I wasn’t able to get to know Joan in person, but like many others, I’ve learned and grown over the years due to her generosity with her knowledge, her compassion, her kindness, and her patience.
This recipe is so easy to make-
A little mixing, spreading, topping, and baking- voila!
Get the printable recipe below – and if you make this or any recipe – tag me in Instagram and Twitter with #ASouthernFairytale
Fudgy Bottom Layer!
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/3 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 5 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, Packed
- 4 Tablespoons Dark Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 Cup Hot Water
- Preheat oven to 350°F
Fudgy Melty Bottom Layer!
- In a large bowl, mix together: Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Cocoa, Cinnamon, and Granulated White Sugar
- Add the Milk, Melted Butter, and Vanilla to the Flour Mixture. Stir until smooth.
- Spread the thick batter into an ungreased 8-inch baking dish
- In a second bowl, mix together: The Granulated White Sugar, Dark Brown Sugar, and Cocoa.
- Sprinkle this over the top of the fudgy cake layer.
- Pour the Hot Tap Water over the cake - DO NOT MIX!!!!!!!
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes - or until the center is set.
- Let stand at room temperature 5-8 minutes.
* I use Dark Cocoa Powder and Dark Brown Sugar because I prefer the deeper, richer taste. Feel free to sub unsweetened or Regular Cocoa Powder and Light Brown Sugar per your pantry's holding, or your taste preferences.
*Serve with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, sliced Strawberries, Toasted Pecans, Toasted Coconut, even a caramel drizzle.
You can help celebrate #chocolateforjoan by tweeting, pinning, and sharing some of her recipes:
Here are a few to get you started