Such a very long name for Macaroni and Cheese, but I can’t help it. This is THE BEST MACARONI AND CHEESE!!!
There’s smoky crisp bacon, roasted hatch green chiles, 3 different kinds of cheese, butter, and pasta – it’s really hard to come up with a quick, succinct, concise name.
Smoky Bacon and Hatch Green Chile Mac and Cheese
This isn’t your traditional mac and cheese – this is mac and cheese that makes your taste buds stand up and holler HELL YEAH – let’s do this!
Smoky chipotle powder, crisp bacon, sharp cheddar, onions, garlic, hatch green chiles, and crisp smoked bacon.
Doesn’t that picture make you want to dive in? Creamy, smoky, spicy deliciousness
Did I mention that it’s topped with a buttery panko topping that gets baked to create a crisp, golden crust atop the deliciously creamy, spicy goodness that is this smoky bacon, spicy hatch green chile, 3 cheese mac and cheese
Oh – I don’t use just any pasta noodle either – I use Cavatappi because I love the textured swirls and how they allow for the flavor to infuse and blend with every single twisted bit of goodness.
This is the perfect dish for your next barbecue, family get together, or just because you feel like making a truly WOW dish. This works as a side dish, or the main dish, hell – you can eat it as an appetizer if you want. Just make it!
Spicy Hatch Green Chile, Smoky Bacon, 3 Cheese Grown Up Mac and Cheese
- 2 Roasted Hatch Green Chile Peppers how to roast peppers skinned, seeded, and chopped
- 8 strips bacon cooked
- 1 medium to large white or yellow onion diced
- 1 head garlic minced
- 16 oz Cavatappi
- 6 Tbsp butter - divided 2 Tbsp and 4 Tbsp
- 7 Tbsp flour
- 3 Cups milk
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 lb 16 oz freshly grated cheese (I use equal parts Extra Sharp Cheddar, White Sharp Cheddar and Pepper Jack)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Cup panko bread crumbs
- handful of cooked bacon and roasted hatch green chile peppers
- Roast the peppers according to instructions, place them in the bag and set them aside to cool
- Cook bacon
- READ AND MEASURE OUT ALL INGREDIENTS
- While the peppers and bacon are cooling, chop and mince the onions and garlic
- Skin, seed, and chop the pepperss - place about 1/4 cup of the peppers to the side for the topping
- Chop the bacon, and set a small amount to the side for the topping
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp butter, add in the onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften and the smell makes your mouth water. Add in the diced peppers and cook a few more minutes
- While this is cooking start a large pot of water boiling for your pasta
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions - drain, cover and set to the side
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the 4 Tbsp butter. Once the butter is melted, slowly start adding in the flour - whisking well with each addition to eliminate any clumps. Once all the flour has been incorporated it's time to slowly add the milk and spices (chipotle powder, ground mustard, pepper and salt) - whisking the entire time. Cook about 8 or 9 minutes, until the sauce thickens, stirring the entire time
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the cheese a handful at a time and stir until completely melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Add in the onion, garlic, green chile pepper mixture, bacon and stir until fully incorporated.
- Pour the pasta into the pot with the sauce and stir to fully coat
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Pull out your largest oven safe skillet - baking dish or cast iron skillet and pour the 'mac' and cheese mixture into this.
- melt 1 Tbsp butter in a microwave safe dish, add in 1 C panko and stir to mix.
- Place this evenly over the pasta mixture and sprinkle the reserved bacon and peppers evenly across the top
- Place in the oven to bake for 10 - 15 minutes - or until the cheese is bubbly and the top a crispy - gorgeous - golden brown.
- Serve immediately!