Easy Homemade Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips
For the last decade or so Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips have become a regular in my homemade treats rotation alongside my brown sugar chocolate chip cookies, my oreo truffles, and my bacon pecan brittle . They’ve become so synonymous with the holidays and my kitchen, that when some potato chip brands decided to start making their own… I had friends calling me, and texting me pictures with laughing emojis because the “brands are copying you, and they’re not even doing it right”
Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips circa 2017
A Couple of Years ago Kroger reached out to me to do a Holiday Entertaining Feature with them and a local Houston News Station. When I asked Facebook what they would want to learn about and see on the news about easy holiday entertaining… the overwhelming response was that I HAD TO SHARE MY CHOCOLATE DIPPED POTATO CHIPS!!!!!
Well, okay then, y’all!
white chocolate drizzled, salty-sweet, homemade chocolate dipped potato chips
Nathan and I were relaxing today and getting a little pampering aka (pedicures.. but his is manly and called a foot scrub and massage) and as I was relaxing in a lavender-scented, hot rock massage, mimosa induced state of bliss… I looked up to see the Food Network ( we haven’t had cable for over 6 years… I forget about cable) and on the TV is the Pioneer Woman making… CHOCOLATE DIPPED POTATO CHIPS!!! I smacked Nathan’s arm and he looked at me, rolled his eyes and said “I told you a long time ago you should be writing cookbooks and be on TV”
Y’all… I cannot EVEN…
EXCEPT to say.. there is a secret that the mass marketers are missing when it comes to chocolate-dipped potato chips.
It is ALL about the chocolate to salt/chip ratio. You do NOT want a heavy chocolate crust… It’s all in the dipping process. You want a crisp salty chip with a light chocolate coating, and if you’re using milk chocolate… PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAWWWWWWWWW just don’t. The balance is all about the salty, sweet, crisp, bitter. Using milk chocolate is a cop-out and you might as well just buy the overly coated pre-made stuff and be disappointed before spending time in your kitchen and getting your hopes up.
I STAND BUY THIS and my dark chocolate disliking kids back me up 100 percent.
I have been making these chips for over a decade. I get texts every year asking me when I’m making my chocolate dipped potato chips, there’s a reason they have been featured year after year, and there’s absolutely a reason people buy the mass produced and then text and ask how to buy mine. It’s all about knowing how to top dip and scoop 🙂
I do not and never will sell mine, I will, however, tell you how to make them, and if you live close ( HOUSTON TEXAS HOLLA!) I’ll make them for you and even better, I’ll happily teach you how to make them! After all… teach a man to fish and …. well, y’all know
Easy Homemade Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips
- 1 bag wavy crispy potato chips
- 1 bag dark chocolate melting wafers I stand by the Ghiradelli brand
- 1/4 bag white chocolate melting wafers if you're feeling drizzly and fancy
- Dump the potato chips out on a layer of paper towels. You can be persnickety and only use the whole chips or embrace the process and use every last one you can dip 🙂
- Melt the dark chocolate. I prefer a glass measuring bowl in the microwave.. 1 minute... stir.. 30 seconds.. stir.. 15 seconds... stir... 10 seconds.. repeat until glossy and melted You can do a double boiler method if you're not comfortable with microwaving. Ghirardelli is high quality so I rarely have issues with the microwave method.
- Have a surface prepared with wax or parchment paper. Grab a chip and light dip it in the melted chocolate with a dip and swoop up. The key to these chocolate dipped chips is the ratio of chocolate to chip and having both sides coated is just too much.
- You can gently shake the chip side to side to shake off some chocolate and then lay it on the prepared surface
- Repeat with each chip
- If you want to get "fancy" drizzle melted chocolate over the chips
These look delicious!! Wonder how they would taste with white chocolate?
I think you should try it and come back and let us know! 🙂 🙂
wow, it’s looking delicious, everybody likes chocolate.
Will have to try! Sweet and salty is such a great combo!
I tried to make it at my home. That was so delicious and i recommend it to my friends.
Wow… I tried it at home. And this is very tasty.