All the Kids and Adults love this Halloween Puppy Chow
This Halloween Puppy Chow was inspired by Halloween candies and our favorite Halloween Season Tradition … ‘Do You Boo buckets.
Homemade puppy chow aka Chex Mix came to mind. Sugary, savory, crispy, with just a hint salty – it’s kind of the definition of perfection in the snack world.
However, my kids aren’t keen on peanut butter (I KNOW!) so I twisted and tweaked, and with the Halloween candy aisle as some inspiration… I have a brand new Halloween inspired Puppy Chow/ Halloween Nutella Chex Mix that is chock full of Halloween Goodness and Nutella yumminess.
Halloween Puppy Chow with Nutella and Seasonal Halloween Candies
Nathan, Noah, and I like peanut butter, but aside from Reese’s pieces, we don’t like peanut butter in our snacks.
The base ingredient of traditional puppy chow is peanut butter.
I see your peanut butter and raise you Nutella.
Halloween Nutella Chex Mix
Not only did I replace the peanut butter with Nutella, but I also added another ingredient to give this Puppy Chow another layer of deliciousness. Chocolate cake mix.
It’s possible that I went a bit Halloween/Fall crazy in the ingredients.. I scoured the shelves of my local Target’s Halloween aisle (which took about 5 minutes) to find the Halloween M&M’s, the S’mores Candy Corn (WHAT?!), the Autumn Candy Corn Mix (DUDE – the pumpkins)
This is – if I may say so myself – one of the best puppy chows that I’ve ever had. It’s chocolate-y, crispy – nutty – sweet – savory, and pretty much just awesome-y 🙂
Halloween Puppy Chow
- 10 Cups Chex Cereal I do 5 corn and 5 rice
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 C Nutella
- 3/4 C powdered Sugar
- 3/4 C chocolate cake or chocolate brownie mix
- 2 C halloween m&m's
- 2 C autumn candy corn mix
- 1/2 C s'mores candy corn mix if you can find it
- 1 tsp. salt
- Divide the chex cereal into 5 C each
- Place the powdered sugar into one large plastic zip close bag
- Place the brownie/cake mix into one large plastic zip close bag
- Place the butter and Nutella into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds, stir. If necessary, microwave another 15 seconds. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the nutella/butter mixture over the chex cereal.
- Divide the mixture in half and place one half in the powdered sugar bag, and one half in the chocolate mix bag.
- SHAKE BOTH BAGS VIGOROUSLY UNTIL COATED.
- Pour the coated chex mix out onto paper towels to rest.
- Combine the candies and sugar coated chex mix and toss to mix.
- Sprinkle with salt and toss again.
- Portion at will and devour.
Let’s Be Social! Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for an even deeper glimpse into our lives, and make sure you subscribe to my newsletter for yummy recipes right in your inbox and exclusive content you won’t see on my site!