My husband is an amazing man.
He’s kind, he’s funny and he’s patient.
He puts up with all my craziness in the kitchen, he’s the best guinea pig ever.
When I present him with dishes that include his least favorite ingredients – peas or tomatoes, he tries them.
When our kitchen looks like the scene of a natural disaster and I’ve rearranged our house to get the best natural light…
He usually grins, kisses me, asks how my day has been and if he can help me…
However, this isn’t Pleasantville and our lives aren’t scripted, so there are also times where he comes home and I can hear his teeth gritting and I can see him clenching his jaw because today just isn’t that day.
TODAY is the day he needed to come home to the living room and kitchen and dining room how they’re supposed to be.
TODAY was the day he didn’t need to come home to his wife standing on a chair on top of a bench with her camera precariously balanced on her forearm so she can prevent casting shadows, whilst capturing natural shadows.
Because Nathan is so patient.
Because Nathan is so understanding and doesn’t flip his lid when I rearrange his house for the perfect shot, and because he tries really hard to not roll his eyes when he opens up our linen cabinet and sees 57 different napkins and placemats…
Because all of those things and more, I have made it a mission of mine to perfect Nathan’s favorite comfort food.
Nathan grew up eating his mom’s potato soup and it is one of his ultimate comfort foods.
I never got to try Genny’s potato soup, but I had her list of ingredients and determination and passion – so I figured I couldn’t do too badly, right?
It took me about 7 years before I even attempted to make Genny’s soup – and with each attempt, Nathan applauded me and said he loved it.
The day he ate 3 bowls full of soup in complete silence, that was the day I knew I had gotten it right.
This soup is amazing.
It warms your heart and soul and bones and tummy.
No part of this soup qualifies as a diet food.
It’s totally worth it, though.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 5 lbs of potatoes washed and cut into 1” pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 to 3 sticks of butter
- 1 to 2 pints of heavy cream
- 1 Chicken Bouillion cube or 1 tsp better than bouillon
- red pepper flakes to taste we used 1 Tbsp - we like the slow burn
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 C milk
- Real Bacon
- Green Onions
- Sharp Cheddar
- In a large stock pot melt ½ stick of butter
- When the butter is melted and beginning to bubble – add in the onions and garlic and simmer until you can’t stand it anymore
- Add in the potatoes, 1 tsp to 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes, chicken bouillon , ½ pint of cream, ½ stick of butter and 1 C milk
- Mix together well – cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are softened.
- Use a potato masher to break the potatoes up – leave chunks.. this is potato soup, not soupy mashed potatoes
- Add in another ½ pint of cream, 1 stick of butter and a slice of cooked bacon (for flavor)
- Simmer for 2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally
- You may add another ½ pint of cream or 1 C of milk – to get it to the consistency you like.
- Taste frequently – after all, you need to make sure it’s not poisoned.
- Top with real crumbled bacon, sharp cheddar, fresh green onions and fresh cracked black pepper
- Be comforted in your heart and soul
- You’re welcome
You can leave the red pepper flakes out completely.
Happy Monday, y’all.
It’s NOVEMBER!!!!! WAHOO!
Here are a few of my favorites from the last linky of October
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings – No Ordinary Homestead
- Greek Layered Dip – Cooking With Sara
- Chocolate Crinkles – Frugal Follies
- Auntie Margaret’s Spice Cake – The 21st Century Spice Cake
Can’t wait to see what y’all have for us this week! Don’t forget – it’s Bake, Craft & Sew Handmade Holidays right now and we have HUGE giveaways and we have over 90 bloggers sharing handmade gift ideas! I’m hosting all the food inspired gift idea, Kelly is hosting all the Crafting Gift Ideas and Cindy is hosting all the Sewing Gift Ideas!
‘); // ]]>