Mexican Hot Cocoa
This post may contain affiliate links if you purchase something through one of the links, it won’t cost you anything extra, but I may receive a small commission. I only link to things that I love and genuinely recommend. Thank you for supporting A Southern Fairytale.
Hi, y’all! I’m Jen, author of the blog Juanita’s Cocina. I call Juanita’s Cocina my online labyrinth and diary of my love of cooking. I always say that cooking is how I show others that I love them. Sharing a family meal, or a delicious baked good, is more than sharing a simple bite…it’s sharing a piece of yourself with others.
I am SUPER excited to be participating for the first time in Bake, Craft, Sew! I love pampering all of my friends and family with homemade gifts for the holidays. So, I jumped at the chance to share what I’ll be giving this Christmas here at A Southern Fairytale!
Last year, I gave friends and loved ones homemade vanilla extract. This year, I wanted to share something that would not only warm the heart, but it would warm the bones as well!
I stumbled across an easy recipe for Mexican Hot Cocoa Mix on Munchin with Munchkin. And I knew it would be perfect to give as gifts.
If you’ve never had Mexican Hot Cocoa, think of it as regular ol’ hot cocoa…with a kick. The tiny bit of cinnamon and cayenne coat your throat and give your belly a hug. It’s not spicy. Instead, it’s EXTRA special. And it’ll have all of those who drink a cuppa begging for more!
Mexican Hot Cocoa Mix
- 3 cups non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Stir all ingredients together in a large bowl.
In batches, pulse the cocoa mix together in a food processor until smooth.
Store cocoa in jars or sealed bags for later use, or to give as gifts.
To make hot cocoa: Add 1/3 cup of cocoa mix to a mug and top with hot water or milk.
thank you for being here today, Jen! Jen’s got a really fun blog with a great comfy Southwest feeling to it, and she shares tons of delicious recipes and giveaways! Y’all definitely need to go check her blog out! I’d start with this recipe for jalapeno lime hummus!
Y’all make sure and visit Juanita’s Cocina today to enter to win the amazing giveaway we’ve got going on!
You can enter EVERY DAY!!!!
All month long, I will be sharing delicious and delectable kitchen gifts from 30 amazing bloggers here on A Southern Fairytale! Don’t forget to head on over to According to Kelly for 30 fabulous crafty gifts and Skip to my Lou to get your sewing inspiration on!
Did I mention the giveaways?
- The wonderful people at Ninja Kitchen have donated a Ninja Ultima Blender
- My favorite camera bags are epiphanie bags and one of y’all will get to pick out a Stella in your choice of color!!!!! (this is the one I’m drooling over!) –they are also giving each of my contributors a special little bonus because they are that awesome!
- Laura from Momables is donating a ONE YEAR subscription to her amazing meal planning service and a $25 Amazon Gift Card!
- I’m giving away to of my very favorite food-centric books: The brand new mouthwateringly beautiful Bountiful: Recipes Inspired by Our Gardenby the supremely talented and lovely couple of White on Rice, Todd and Diane. This book is absolutely gorgeous, I’ve spent hours looking through my copy and drooling over recipes. I really want to move in next door to them.
- I’m also giving away one of my favorite food photography books: Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
- Deanna Garretson of Design Chicky (my blog designer) is donating a $100 Design Credit! She can help you create custom recipe cards, Facebook page, or whichever one of her services you’d like!
Make sure that y’all are subscribed so that y’all can keep up with all the goodness coming up this month, and for your chances to enter to win the goodies above!!!!
That looks amazing! I’ve never seen someone take hot cocoa so far, I normally just use milk and powder and that’s it 🙂 I should try it. Particularly love the cayenne pepper bit, it works way better with chocolate than most people realise.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy hot chocolate, looks so creamy and dreamy!
Best hot cocoa on the planet!
Wow, looks great get me some marshmallows !
What a great gift idea. Love jen’s site.
I have several people who will LOVE this in their Christmas stockings! Thank you so much for sharing!
Great giveaway! Thanks –
First time viewer, the hot chocolate looked interesting.
I can’t wait to make this to give as a gift. My mother in law is in a nursing home and I also like to give her caregivers a little something at Christmas. Last year I gave them regular hot cocoa mix. This year I am spicing it up a bit with the recipe. Thank you so much for sharing. I never thought to run it though a blender to chop up the chips! Way to go!!!