Penne Vodka with Chicken
I’ve been taunting y’all for two weeks now with pictures and tweets about this delight.
Put on your drool bib and rev up your printers because this tonguegasmic delight is printworthy. Simply put, it’s creamy, spicy and just yum.
It also had me going to the liquor store for the first time in 5 or so years. WE drink beer and wine, y’know.. the stuff you buy at your local HEB. Vodka, cannot be purchased at my local HEB. So I ventured past the ‘Must Be 21 To Enter’ Sign, only to be greeted by a 7 year old behind the counter and a teenager doing inventory. ummmmmmmmmmmm. TABC what?
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lg. shallot, minced
- 1/2 a large yellow onion, minced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 14.5 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 to 1 C. heavy cream
- 1/2 C. vodka
- Fresh Spinach leaves, a couple of handfuls to liking
- 2 C sliced fresh mushrooms
- *flour or cornstarch might be necessary for thickening purposes
- 3 chicken breasts, grilled or sauteed in vodka and garlic, thinly sliced.
- 1 box Barilla Pasta Plus (penne or rigatoni) cooked as instructed on box
- In a pan over medium high heat, sautee garlic, shallot, mushrooms and onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Mix, breaking up tomatoes, and let cook on medium to high heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and vodka, blend lightly.
- Allow to bubble and simmer, stirring frequently, allow to cook for 8 to 12 minutes. If the sauce isn’t as thick as you would like, gradually add in flour or cornstarch.
- Right before serving, toss in spinach leaves to soften.
- Keep heated until serving.
Serve over pasta with fresh 4 cheese garlic bread and a crisp green salad.
I recommend tossing the sliced chicken, pasta and sauce together and then serving
If you’re joining in the Mouthwatering Mondays recipe sharing love, my tastebuds and I thank you!
Please leave a comment saying Hi, sign Mr. Linky with your MWM recipe URL, link back here in your post and grab your tonguegasmic button so that others can find us, and go visit other MWM participants! Thank you and happy eating!!
Some great menu planning and other recipes can be found here
and Please show one of my favorite Moms, OHMommy, some love and go vote for her video on YouTube: Just view the video she made and click on the stars to rate it! Thank you!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-H8FydJxWU
Funny, my post mentions alcohol too..
Am I brave enough to walk in and buy vodka.. um.. think I can substitute chkn broth?? 🙂
And I just came across the html to add a ‘print’ this button on a post if you are interested.. for recipe posts like this…?!
That looks yummy! Thanks for hosting!
This looks absolutely wonderful! I would love to make it sans alcohol though. My DH is a recovering alcoholic and even though I keep hearing that the alcohol ‘cooks off’, I still don’t include any in my recipes.
Would chicken broth do the trick as Carissa suggested?
I must remember this one for our next date night meal. Sounds amazing!
Um, this sounds delish.
Can I link up a recipe that I posted later in the week last week?
Things in life that I love: vodka, heavy cream, pasta, garlic, mushrooms, spinach. THIS RECIPE. Thank you thank you.
Pasta with vodka sauce is my absolute favorite!! Thanks so much for this recipe. Can’t wait to try it!
I’m making this for sure! It looks AWESOME!
Uh, just YUMMMM!!! I can’t wait to try it.
So, I’ve posted a recipe too, this is such fun!
Vodka sauce is amongst my favs. And here in Italian Land, AKA Jersey-it’s hard to make one as good as I can buy. HOWEVER, I will be trying this one out!!
TRACI’s latest brilianceWhen Toddlers Attack
ive been searching the web for an hour trying to find a way to justify making penne vodka tonight by adding in some veggies…this is EXACTLY what i had in mind….let you know how it comes out!
hamana hamana hamana.
Even in St.Maarten this looks so freaking yummy. I had to stop and comment.