Do y’all remember when I posted about Eggy?
About the 17 Day diet, our successes and my complete lack of inspiration for what to do with eggplant that fit into The 17 Day Diet parameters.
Little did I know… there’s a recipe for Eggplant Parmesan in the back of The 17 Day Diet book.
My brother started raving about it, another friend who has had amazing success with the diet, also raved about the recipes.. so I threw caution to the wind and decided that I had little to lose (if you’ll excuse the pun) by experimenting with this spongy-purpley-black veggie
I can’t be the only one who wants to put googly eyes and ears on them… they just remind me of little purple piglets.
This recipe called for 1 C low carb marinara sauce, I have yet to understand why anyone buys spaghetti/marinara/red sauce when it is so unbelievably simple to make
2 (1-lb) Cans of Petite Diced Tomatoes – 1/2 a large onion, chopped – 7 garlic cloves, minced and 1 1/2 TBSP of your favorite garlic seasoning (I am partial to Zatarain’s Big and Zesty Garlic and Herb Seasoning – and I have been since LOOOONG before I started partnering with them) sweat the onions, add the garlic and tomatoes and seasoning and simmer for 30 minutes to all day. No matter what you pair this with – it will be devoured.
This was my secret weapon for this unknown dish – This 17 Day Diet Purple Spongy Veggie Thing – I knew that no matter what I put this sauce on – it would be edible.
Caution. Meet the wind, and prepare to be tossed.
The first time I made this, I completely made it according to the book – we ate it.
The second time, I adjusted it according to our preferences and we ate it and enjoyed it.
The book suggests pressing the 1/4″ eggplant slices into the fat free parm cheese to coat – in our opinion, this is too much.
I sliced the eggplant 1/4″ thick – dipped it into the frothy egg whites
and lightly pressed both sides into fat free parmesan cheese (yes, the shaker kind) that I had mixed with a bit of paprika and fresh ground pepper.
Spray a vented pan with baking spray and bake at 400 °F for 20 minutes, turn and bake for 10 minutes.
Top with your delicious tomato sauce and serve
17 Day Diet Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 Large Eggplant peeled and sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 4 egg whites
- Fat Free Parmesan Cheese
- 2 C favorite tomato sauce please make your own, it's so easy and so much yummier
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Mix Fat Free (shaker) Parmesan Cheese with a couple dashes, paprika and fresh ground parmesan cheese.
- Peel the eggplant and slice into 1/4" thick rounds
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy
- Dip the eggplant slices into the egg whites until coated - lightly dip each side into the parmesan cheese mixture and lay on a vented broiler sheet
- Put in 400°F oven for 20 minutes, flip and bake another 10 minutes
- Serve topped with your homemade tomato sauce