Kindly remove your mind from the gutter where it is currently residing and we’ll get on with today’s faking it post.
Yes, even I ‘fake it’ in the kitchen occasionally.
Sometimes I don’t have the time or the energy to cook from scratch. You can pick your jaws up off the floor now y’all.
Last night was one of those times. The hell monkey spawn beastie, formerly known only as Monkey, has learned to scale the sides of his crib and escape from his room. Thus, no naps and 5 AM visits to wake me up. Upon the very high recommendations of two wonderful women I have ordered a baby jail crib tent. It should be here tomorrow at which point in time I fully expect whatever sanity didn’t escape with the placentas and the breastmilk to return.
Back to the point.
Last night, I faked it. I faked Beef Stroganoff, this is one of my favorite faker dishes because it’s a simple dish that almost everyone loves, and really easy to make it appear scratched out instead of boxed out.
* 1 box Hamburger Helper Stroganoff
* 1.25 lb ground beef (or turkey)
* garlic and oregano or an Italian Seasonings Blend
* 10 oz of farfalle or other fun pasta of choice
* 1 Cup Milk
* 1 1/4 C heavy cream
* 2 Tbsp Sour Cream
* 1 C Hot water
K’ here’s the lowdown:
* Brown meat in seasonings, drain and return to pan.
* Add seasonings packet from box and your own noodles (you can use the noodles that came with it, but fun noodles lend to the ‘scratch’ness of the dish)
* Add Milk, Water and Cream
* Follow cooking directions on the box.
* When it’s time to let the Stroganoff ‘sit’ and thicken, add the sour cream and stir until it’s fully incorporated.
* If you have some dried parsley flakes around sprinkle them over the plated dish and you’re set.
So, don’t feel bad if you have to fake it every now and then, just make it believable.
*I am not saying if you don’t cook from scratch, you aren’t really cooking. You are.
I just usually cook from scratch, that’s all 🙂
It is 8:45AM Friday and we’re leaving for a weekend in Gruene. I don’t know if I’ll have any internet access, so y’all have fun and I’ll see you on the flip side 🙂
XOXO ~ Rachel