Basic Guacamole Recipe

How to Make Guacamole

With Cinco De Mayo peering it’s festive head around the corner, the twittersphere has been ripe with people chatting about Guacamole and Fajitas and Backyard Celebrations.
This got my mouth watering so off to the store I went to get some avocados and cilantro, so that I could make my own Guacamole.
The key to gorgeous, green, mouthwatering Guacamole is fresh ingredients.
When choosing your avocados they should yield to slight pressure, but not squish. They should NOT be hard and unyielding. Put down the greenish black rock and move on to the next.
Making your own guacamole is simple and you will be rewarded for your efforts, trust me.

Making Guacamole at Home

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

• 3 avocados
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
  • ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 4 Campari Tomatoes, or 1 medium tomato
  • ¼ tsp chopped cilantro leaves (or more or less, to your taste)
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • dash salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1 finely chopped and seeded jalapeno
  1. Slice your avocados in half and remove the pit, using a spoon, scoop the avocados out gently and put them in a bowl.
  2. Add in your chopped jalapeno, tomatoes, onion, pressed or minced garlic, cilantro, pepper, salt and lime juice.
  3. Mash together until it is as smooth or chunky as you like it.

See, it’s easy and depending on your preferences for cilantro, garlic and jalapenos, you can add more at will. Some days I like a good bite! So, I’ll add 2 jalapenos and not remove all the seeds, or chop them up too finely. Other days I’ll add in a few dashes of cholula or tabasco.

My favorite way to eat guacamole is with the Hint of Jalapeno Scoops and an ice cold Dos XX or Corona.

Put your Guacamole (if there’s any left) into a sealed dish in your refrigerator and use it later as a special addition to your chicken or steak fajitas, tacos, hamburgers, salads, wraps etc… your options are only limited by your imagination and tastebuds.

Comments

I hope you don’t mind, but my post is a memory/psuedo-recipe. My family had a favorite Mexican restaurant when I was growing up, and we figured out how to make the burritos at home. And after some friends of mine were recently mocking the existence of canned chili, I felt I had to defend it. Because really, canned chili MAKES this meal. :) I know, so classy!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect’s latest brilianceIt’s all about the chili.

mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm! I gots mad love for the gauc.

Actually, the way you’re doing it is perfect. Food processor chops everything too fine, even if you pulse. Nothing like hand chopped. Imperfections and chunks are what make it good. Also, before you put unfinished guacamole in the fridge, add a tiny teensy dollop of sour cream to it and mix. Keeps it from browning.

I need a XX now.

BusyDad’s latest brilianceThere I Go Again

3. badassdad05 says

REMOVE THE SEEDS FROM THE JALAPENOS!?!? WHAAAT!?!?!?!?!?

Other than that crazy notion, this recipe looks downright delicious!

badassdad05’s latest brilianceold school

4. Bebe says

Sounds delicious. If there is any leftover, don’t store it in a metal container. I actually seem to remember that you don’t want to make it in a metal bowl either; it will discolor it.

I love guacamole! I almost picked up some avocados at the store yesterday. I’ll be trying this one too.

When I make guac I put all the ingredients in a heavy, zip-lock plastic bag and mush it up with my hands. It works great and you can just throw away the bag after you mix it up.

Tara R.’s latest brilianceSparkles and frivolity

After seeing Freaking Guacamole as your recipe I almost didn’t post.

So not worthy.

Okay I left it.. but… sheesh I’m on vacation !

Oh yum, I LOVE guac, and I am making this tonight in my magic bullet…WAY easier than lugging out a food processor and then cleaning it…which is annoying:)