Garlic and Tomatoes, two of my favorite foods, are known to have Cancer Fighting properties, you can read more about their awesomeness and other foods that may help to reduce the risk of Breast and other kinds of cancers here. For me, that’s an added bonus , I just love the way they taste.. whether it’s roasted, baked, fresh, raw, sauteed… I could go on and on. My mom has actually asked me if I’m capable of cooking without garlic. Ummm yes, but only if I have too 😉
This Southwestern Pot Roast is chock full of tomatoes and garlic and all kinds of AMAZINGLY yummy ingredients. Nathan has declared this his new favorite and the best Roast that I’ve ever made.
It was simple to make, CHOCK full of flavors and my house smelled amazing while it was cooking.
Southwestern Pot Roast
- 3 pound boneless roast (chuck, shoulder… your choice)
- 2 pat butter (1 Tbsp & 1 Tbsp)
- 2 anaheim peppers, chopped (these aren’t as hot as jalapenos, but have more spice than bell peppers)
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 1/2 yellow onions, chopped
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- (dash of crushed red pepper flakes if ya like it like that)
- 3 medium roma tomatoes (or the equivalent), chopped
- 2 tomatillos, chopped
- 1/2 C beef broth
- optional rice for serving this over)
- Heat oven to 250
- Put butter into your 4 QT dutch oven over medium heat and when it’s melted, brown your roast about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove roast and set aside.
- Put one more pat butter in your Dutch oven and when it’s melted add in peppers, chipotles, onions, garlic and spices, saute’ about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and tomatillos, saute’ another 4 minutes and then add in broth.
- Put roast back into the Dutch Oven, spoon the mixture up over the roast and cover with a tight-fitting lid
- Cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the roast falls apart with a fork.
You can serve this as is (which is how we eat it) or over rice.
Since this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and I’m doing the whole month of Blogging for Boobs I have a special treat for y’all today. The WONDERFUL ladies from The Hip Hostess have donated the most DELICIOUS pink demi apron to the cause!
One of y’all is going to win this adorable apron. I have a demi apron from The Hip Hostess and I love, love, love it! It’s sassy, durable and so cute! I think this pink one is going on my wish list and a matching one for Princess!
*This first entry must be done to be eligible: Leave a comment telling me how Breast Cancer has affected your life, or someone’s life close to you. (this can be in the same comment as your comment about today’s recipe)
* Bonus entry: Visit The Hip Hostess and tell me which apron you like the best
* Bonus entry: Donate to Susan G Komen using the Blogging For Boobs link and leave me a comment. Once I validate the donation, your bonus entry will be counted. Any amount at all.. every penny, dime, dollar takes us that much closer to finding a cure.
This contest will run from October 12,2009 to October 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM CST Random.org will be used to choose the winner
If you’re joining the Mouthwatering Monday Fun. Thanks! Sign the Link list with your recipe URL, leave a comment saying Hi or about today’s Tonguegasmic recipe. Make sure you link back here in your post and go visit the other participants and spread the Recipe Sharing Love!