Comfort Food. – Food that feeds your body and your soul.
This Cheesy Ham and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is Comfort Food.
It is a food that when eaten with family and friends, nourishes, comforts, fills and satisfies. It’s food that causes silence and then a chorus of sighs and mmmmmmmms.
This is the food of your childhood and your best memories.
Everyone has a recipe for Hashbrown Bakes and Casseroles, those recipes passed among friends and family. Virtually everyone (at least all the Southerners) have a casserole that falls into this category.
This is my new favorite of all favorites. It’s cheesy and gooey, hot and slightly crisp, while creamy, with just a dash of tang from the sour cream and a sweet bite from the onions.
I bring this recipe to the school several times a year, and at the beginning of each school year the questions begin — when do we get the hashbrown casserole? That makes me a ridiculous kind of happy.
I love sharing food, sharing comfort, sharing happiness and my southern love for soul nurturing food – it’s one of my happy things.
Grate 2 C of good sharp cheddar cheese (or.. pepper jack would be FABULOUS if you like that extra ZING!!!), chop 1/2 of one large yellow onion and 10 oz of cooked ham
Mix together with 2 (10.5 oz) cans of cream of potato soup, 1 (16 oz) tub of sour cream and a 30 oz package of frozen shredded hashbrowns, add about 1 Tbsp pepper (start with 1/2 Tbsp if you’re sensitive), 1/2 Tbsp salt, a dash of paprika (smoked, if you have it).
Once this is all thoroughly mixed, layer it into a 9X13 (will fill) or a 10 X 15 (to make thinner servings) casserole dish
Top with 2 C of your favorite grated cheese blend. I use an Italian Blend: Parmesan, Mozzarella, Fontina, Provolone, Asiago and Romano (If you’re keeping count… that’s SEVEN cheeses in this dish)*
Place in the oven and bake at 325 for 1 hour, or until hot and bubbly and golden brown around the edges
This dish will have everyone wanting more and asking for the recipe. They’ll probably even offer to do the dishes for you, in exchange for the recipe *wink, wink*
- 30 oz bag of frozen shredded hashbrowns
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans of cream of potato soup
- 1 (16 oz) tub of sour cream
- 10 oz smoked ham (lunch meat, leftovers etc...), chopped
- ½ a medium to large yellow onion, diced
- 2 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 C favorite cheese blend (I use a 6 cheese Italian blend)
- ¼ Tsp to 2 Tbsp black pepper (we love black pepper, remember you can add it, you can never take it away)
- salt to taste
- dash of smoked paprika
- Use pepper jack instead of cheddar for a nice kick
- Add in red and green bell peppers for a delicious crunch and burst of color
- Try using ½ frozen shredded hash browns and ½ O'Brien style hash browns
- Make ahead and freeze - just don't top with cheese if you're going to freeze it
- Pre-heat oven to 325 F
- Grate the cheese, chop the ham, dice the onion
- In a large bowl mix together: soup, hash browns, seasonings, onion, sour cream, ham and cheddar cheese
- Spread into a 9X13 (for thicker servings) or a 10 X 15 (to make more servings) dish and top with the cheese blend
- Bake for one hour or until the casserole is bubbling and the cheese is golden brown