Crispy Skin, insanely juicy insides, bursting with juice and flavor, a hint of spice from the mustard, a subtle bit of savory heat from the cumin and a whole ton of juicy deliciousness from the combination of ingredients; this chicken is easily the most amazing roast chicken that I’ve ever eaten, much less made.
I am contemplating twisting this recipe into a beer can chicken recipe to see how it does on the grill.
Princess and I are both a bit of what you might call.. umm… mustard addicts, so you dangle a mustard coupon in my face and tack the word spicy onto it and I’m pretty much a goner.
Part of my H-E-B Meal Maker Challenge is to incorporate the Combo Locos, Online Coupons and such into making lunches and dinners easier during the back to school time, this coupon made it sort of ridiculously easy.
I took the spicy mustard and incorporated it into a glaze/marinade to make one of the easiest and most delicious roasted chickens ever.
Roasted Chicken With Honey, Lime, Garlic, Spicy Mustard Glaze
- One 5 to 6lb whole fryer chicken
- 1 very full to overflowing Tbsp Spicy Mustard (see pic above)
- 1/2 C honey
- The juice of 6 limes (about 1/2 C fresh squeezed juice)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Remove the “innards” from the chicken, rinse and pat dry
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
- Mix the honey, lime juice, cumin, garlic and mustard
- Gently, using your fingers, separate the skin from the body of the chicken
- Using a turkey baster, insert half the mixture in between the body of the chicken and the skin
- Place the chicken on a roasting rack
- Pour the remaining lime/honey/garlic/cumin mixture over the chicken, add 1 C water to the mixture in the roasting pan
- Roast for 2 – 3 hours. Baste every 30 minutes or so until golden brown (about 1 hour)
- Once the chicken is golden brown, cover with an aluminum foil tent and roast until the internal temperature reaches 180 (continuing to baste every 30 minutes or so)
- Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes.
Do you see all the juices coursing out of that chicken?????
The taste, more than you can imagine.
So here’s how this makes life easier:
- This chicken was ridiculously easy to make
- Crazy delicious leftovers make for ridiculous chicken salad and
- The carcass can be used to make Heather’s Homemade Chicken Stock
Y’all, trust me, this chicken… you want to make it.
So, today is the start of my birthday week (if you think Monday is the first day of the week and for today’s purposes….. we’re following that theory)
Since today is Mouthwatering Monday AND the start of my birthday week.. I’m giving away TWO $50 H-E-B and ConAgra gift packs
Here’s how to enter:
- (mandatory) Do you use coupons? Do they sway you towards one product or another?
- (bonus) Become a fan of the HEB facebook page (let me know in a separate comment)
- (bonus) Become a fan of the ConAgra facebook page (let me know in a separate comment)
- (bonus) tweet this giveaway and leave the tweet url in the comment
This giveaway valid from August 2, 2010 to 11 PM CST August 7, 2010 Random.Org will choose the winners
Thanks for linking up your recipes every Monday. Y’all inspire me weekly, I love seeing what y’all are feeding your families and friends. Don’t forget to link up your recipe URL, leave a comment, link back here in your post and visit the other participants!
congratulations Nancy and Mainline Mom!!!!![/donotprint]