Rich, Creamy, Filling, Cheesy, Gooey, Spicy, Delicious, Creamy —
So very, very many mouthwatering adjectives could be used to describe this wonderful dish from my childhood.
This is a combination of two of my favorite dishes from childhood — grilled sausage links and twice baked potatoes.
My Dad used to make these for us and every time that I make them, I’m taken back.
I love the simplicity and deliciousness of twice baked potatoes — crisp skins, fluffy, buttery, garlicky, cheesy topped potatoes that are taken to the next level by filling them with spicy sliced grilled sausage.
These are so easy to make:
Cook 6 potatoes, and slice them in half
I find that I get the best results when I stick my knife straight down into the center of the potato and then push down from there to cut it in half.
Use a spoon to scoop out the insides of the potatoes — they don’t have to be perfect, but you do want to leave enough to create a good shell.
Put the insides of the potatoes into a mixer with 3/4 C warm milk, 1 stick butter, 1 Tbsp garlic salt and pepper to taste. Whip them together until they’ve reached your desired texture — more milk for creamier and fluffier potatoes* Make sure that you stick a spoon into the bowl to taste the potatoes TASTE — not devour by the giant spoonful
Once the potatoes have reached the consistency that makes you want to dive into the bowl with your fingers a spoon, add in your chopped/sliced cooked sausage.
I use 1 whole sausage link per 8 prepared potato halves
Now comes the fun part — fill your potato halves with the tonguegasmic potato/sausage mixture
Top the potato halves with cheese and place in the 370 F oven
Remove from the oven after 25 minutes, or when the cheese is melted and bubbly and the insides are hot
You really don’t *need* a side dish with these but, Nathan loves to eat these with saltines and sliced apples
- 6 potatoes, baked
- 1 stick butter
- 1 sausage link, cooked
- garlic salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded cheese, about 2 C
- Cook the potatoes and set aside
- pre-heat the oven to 370 F
- Using a hot pad, hold the potato and slice each one in half length-wise. I have found that putting a sharp knife, point down in the middle of the potato and cutting down from there, leaves me with the most intact potato
- scoop out the insides, leaving enough potato in the shell so that the sides are sturdy
- put the potato insides into a mixing bowl and the potato halves in a baking dish (6 whole potatoes for me, means 10 potato halves in the dish)
- Whip together the potato insides, 1 stick of butter, 1 Tbsp garlic salt & pepper to taste
- slowly add warm milk, up to ¾ Cup, whipping together until the potato mixture has reached your favorite consistency, don’t hesitate to reach in and scoop out a taste or two ;-) you want to make sure they’re tonguegasmic, after all
- add in one chopped/sliced sausage link and mix it all together.
- stuff each potato half with the mixture and then top with cheese
- bake in the oven until the insides are hot and the cheese is all bubbly and melted and yummy